HELP! Not sure if my GPU or PSU is dead?

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
I built a PC 2 years ago and it's run perfectly fine until I tried turning it on this morning. Everything turned on as normal except the monitor gave me a "No signal detected" text. I've searched through tons of forums but none seem to help. I've tried reseating the graphics card and even placed it In the second pci port but with no luck. I've tested the monitor to make sure it is functioning and it works fine.

Everything comes on, even the graphics card lights, but it still isn't being detected. Please help if you have advice.

Here's what I'm running
AMD FX 8350
MSI 970 le GPU
MSI 970 gaming mother board
EVGA 80+ bronze 600w power supply
8gb Kingston hyper x RAM

Solution
Here is all the possible things that could be happening
You can see if it is the GPU by taking the GPU out and running display from the motherboard i/o, if you get the display up that means that maybe one of the ports on the gpu is not working, your PSU cable running to GPU is broken, your PCI-E slot is broken. You don't have the greatest PSU so there is a larger chance that it is the cable... but I don't know for sure. Do you have a crappy GPU you could test with? That could rule everything out besides the GPU. If your warranty is still active you could get another 970 to see. Your gpu is clearly receiving power from the pci slot but if the psu cable is broken that would explain that it doesn't have enough wattage to output display. It...

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
Here is all the possible things that could be happening
You can see if it is the GPU by taking the GPU out and running display from the motherboard i/o, if you get the display up that means that maybe one of the ports on the gpu is not working, your PSU cable running to GPU is broken, your PCI-E slot is broken. You don't have the greatest PSU so there is a larger chance that it is the cable... but I don't know for sure. Do you have a crappy GPU you could test with? That could rule everything out besides the GPU. If your warranty is still active you could get another 970 to see. Your gpu is clearly receiving power from the pci slot but if the psu cable is broken that would explain that it doesn't have enough wattage to output display. It could also be your monitor as well... What I suggest you do is, Try plugging PC into TV or different monitor, use a different display cable, use a crappy gpu to test (pick one up on craigslist for $20, use different ports. If you come up with nothing from those, it's most likely the psu cable. Update on the situation as it progresses please!

Solution

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks! My mother board doesn't have an option to run graphics, the down side of the FX series chips. I think I might pick up a new PSU and start there. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll know the GPU is messed up.
Also, I do not have an extra GPU

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
UPDATE 4/10/2017
I finally got my GPU back from the manufacturer. I plug it in and made sure everything was connected and turned it on. Still no signal detected. I guess I will have to try the PSU now. Sad day, I waited almost 4 weeks and it still doesn't work

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017

How long you thinking on the PSU?

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017

I know this is a stupid question but did you ever actually try a different monitor/cables? If you did and that didn't work, I suggest trying the MOBO than... least chance and worst case scenario it's the CPU. I doubt it though...

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

J_Money_Bro

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
UPDATE 5/23/2017 Motherboard finally got back from MSI on warranty. Apparently that was the issue. Everything is up and running again. Thanks for the advice and I hope this helps someone else.