help NTLDR is missing anyone know what i messed up?

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
i was tinkering around and tried to upgrade bios from windows with asus update tool. it all seemed to go fine and it said i needed to re-boot computer and it goes past logo screen and gives a screen of raid setup and then stops with the message NTLDR IS MISSING press ctrl-alt -del to reboot. i tried rebooting and also reset cmos and still no luck.anybody know what that means and if i screwed something up?

Real999

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
No need to worry, it's a pretty common error (my sister had it a few weeks ago and it was easily restored). I can't remeber how we did it but if you just google for it you will find troubleshoots

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
thanks i'll try to google it.i hadn't thought of that,i read through about 200 questions related to my m board on asus website with nothing so i posted here

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I had it when iwas like 12, with my p1, 133 mhz, you need to run fixboot if your running 98, which i doubt, but uhm..pop in the windows disk, and use the "r" feature, and then copy ntldr file, its in i386\ntldr c:\ and i386\ntdetect.com c:\ which is what i did last time.

i havent had the problem since then....it's a boot file.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Something to check into. On my system, if I reboot, but leave my external HDD running, XP tries to boot using that USB connected disk instead of the default RAID 0 setup that my PC is configured for. When it happens, I get the same NTLDR error. So make sure any external drives/storage devices are turned off, reboot, and see if it works for you.

Oh yeah, and check the BIOS to see if maybe it changed the boot config, so instead of BIOS pointing towards a RAID 0 array, now it is set to the default single-drive bootup. You'll need to tinker with BIOS again for this one, but its fairly simple, just make sure the RAID array is the default boot device. When you flash the BIOS, it normally resets everything and you'll need to reconfigure it all, so if you miss one little thing, the system won't work right.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Something to check into. On my system, if I reboot, but leave my external HDD running, XP tries to boot using that USB connected disk instead of the default RAID 0 setup that my PC is configured for. When it happens, I get the same NTLDR error. So make sure any external drives/storage devices are turned off, reboot, and see if it works for you.

I had that problem. But my external 120gb usb drive was labeled as a system disk. Couldn't boot without it plugged in. Ended up having to reformat. Someone mind telling us why windows has this special endearment of usb drives?

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
i read about this and tried it but i get access denied message. i was able to get it to boot up by pressing f8 at asus screen and going into boot menu. in there i set it to boot to raid config and it starts up normal but if i restart i get same ntldr message. i think im closing in on a fix but cant get it

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Boot to the CD-ROM and do a repair install. Breeze by the first place you can hit R, and carry on as though you are loading Windows. Assuming it detects an existing OS, when it gets to the part about formatting the drive it should offer another R option. Choose that one to do a repair install.

This assumes you have XP as opposed to 2000.

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
thank you all for the help

i finally figured it out , i went to bios and checked it out and realized that windows was trying to boot up on the sata hd i had hooked for back up. i changed it to boot to my raid setup first and it works now. thanks again steve :D

TRENDING THREADS