Help! OC E6700 Noob.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Noob in OC, so not really sure on how to go about it, but here is what I have.

E6700
P5B-D (507)
Corsair XM2 PC2-6400(2X512) 5-5-5-15
Stock air cooling

Now I want to start off with a modest OC so would only be going up to 3Ghz to start off with. From what I gather the simplest way to OC is to raise the FSB. That being the case, does that mean I can just raise my FSB to say 430mhz and drop my multiplier to 7X? Now I understand that by doing this that I might have to raise my votages a bit for the CPU and norhbridge and since I plan on using a 1:1 ratio that I will be slightly OC the memory to 860mhz, I might have to raise my memory voltage as well. So do you guys think that a 430 X 7 multiplier will work?

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
OC to 1:1 at stock memory speeds, with either a 8X or 7X multiplier and be sure your timings will be optimized, even 820 mhz could force relaxed cas timings, besides two sticks of DDR II 800 in 1:1 with a 1600 mhz fsb will be lightning fast. I don't know if you would even be able to notice a diference at all.

A 2.8 gig (X7 multiplier) conroe or will be plenty fast, I'm pretty sure unless you need to have a lower super pi because it will make you hella cool, I think the difference between 2.8 and 3 gig will be completely unnoticable.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

E6700
P5B-D (507)
Stock air cooling

Now I want to start off with a modest OC so would only be going up to 3Ghz to start off with. From what I gather the simplest way to OC is to raise the FSB. That being the case, does that mean I can just raise my FSB to say 430mhz and drop my multiplier to 7X? Now I understand that by doing this that I might have to raise my votages a bit for the CPU and norhbridge and since I plan on using a 1:1 ratio that I will be slightly OC the memory to 860mhz, I might have to raise my memory voltage as well. So do you guys think that a 430 X 7 multiplier will work?

ok first off YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE MULTIPLIER on any Intel CPU except the Core 2 Extreme X6800. You can only adjust the FSB. If you have an E6700 your multiplier is 10 and that's where it's going to stay, you can't change that.

if you want to hit 3.0 GHz you'll have to up your FSB to 300, which will set your memory to DDR2-900, so you may need to adjust the ratio if you get unstable. I doubt u'll even have to mess with the voltages for that level of an OC on a C2D... they're very tolerant. But again, the important thing you need to know is that Intel CPU multipliers are locked and cannot be adjusted (unless you sprung for an X6800).

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
that's not true actually, on the P5b deluxe, and I think the vanilla, the latest bios update actually gives you the ability to adjust the multiplier down on most c2d chips.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Yes, the P5B-D and probably a few other motherboards give you the option of changing the multiplier. The P5B-D has a setting in the bios which lets you change the multiplier from 6-10 for the E6600. The plan is to keep my FSB/memory ratio at 1:1, but to do this I have to run my FSB at 400mhz. Just not sure how well this board runs at 400FSB, but if it can handle that speed then I will start off with a multiplier of 7X. If this runs stable and cool then I plan on moving up to 8X. I think I have a fair understanding on how the FSB speed affects the CPU speed along with memory, but I'm still lost on how the memory timings work. My memory is rated at 5-5-5-15 pc2-6400, so how should I go about if I want to make the timings "tighter". Is their a formula? Or is it just a guessing game.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

E6700
P5B-D (507)
Stock air cooling

ok first off YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE MULTIPLIER on any Intel CPU except the Core 2 Extreme X6800. You can only adjust the FSB. If you have an E6700 your multiplier is 10 and that's where it's going to stay, you can't change that.

if you want to hit 3.0 GHz you'll have to up your FSB to 300, which will set your memory to DDR2-900, so you may need to adjust the ratio if you get unstable. I doubt u'll even have to mess with the voltages for that level of an OC on a C2D... they're very tolerant. But again, the important thing you need to know is that Intel CPU multipliers are locked and cannot be adjusted (unless you sprung for an X6800).

So setting your FSB to 300 will change your memory to 900? Man I must of read some bad info. The guys at xtremesystems said that I had to set my FSB to 400 for a DDR2-800 and FSB to 533 for DDR2-1066. Why they say that?

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

E6700
P5B-D (507)
Stock air cooling

So setting your FSB to 300 will change your memory to 900? Man I must of read some bad info. The guys at xtremesystems said that I had to set my FSB to 400 for a DDR2-800 and FSB to 533 for DDR2-1066. Why they say that?

default memory ratio is 2:3, that's why 300MHz fsb will get you ddr2-900. you'll have to manually set it if you want it to be different.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

E6700
P5B-D (507)
Stock air cooling

if you want to hit 3.0 GHz you'll have to up your FSB to 300, which will set your memory to DDR2-900, so you may need to adjust the ratio if you get unstable. I doubt u'll even have to mess with the voltages for that level of an OC on a C2D... they're very tolerant. But again, the important thing you need to know is that Intel CPU multipliers are locked and cannounless you sprung for an X6800).

default memory ratio is 2:3, that's why 300MHz fsb will get you ddr2-900. you'll have to manually set it if you want it to be different.

That makes sense. So I should be able to set my ratio to a 1:1 and bump my FSB up to 400(mhz)X8(mult)=3.2ghz while keeping my memory at ddr2-800. Sounds easy, but I think that it is not going to be as easy as it sounds.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
the guys at extremem systems were right, 400 fsb quad pumped gives you 1600 mhz sfb effective. with two sticks of DDR II 800 you match that 1600 fsb.

the p5b should be fine at 400 fsb, mine works flawlessly.

I am at 1.375 v with 400 fsb and multiplier of 8

lock the pci/e freq's

manually set the Dram timings at the stock to begin with, set ram voltage highest safe to start with.

Turn off cpu features you don't want, like that downclocking multiplier lowering thing, lol, whatever it's called.

In terms of lowering your ram timings you generally can't much unless you also lower the speed of the ram, for example ddr II 800 with a cas lat. of 5 running at 533 could potentially run with a cas of 4. You kinda need to experiment. I genrally go with whatever the fastest timings are that I can get stable at max save voltage, which often is actually just the stock timing. Most avertise their ram lat's at whatever the fastest they can guarantee will be stable.