[SOLVED] Help OC'ing EVGA 980 ti Hybird

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
I've been trying to OC my 980 ti hybird for the past 24 hrs without achieving "expected" results. The highest attempt that passed the test is +100 on core clock and +400 on memory.

Is that normal or my GPU is really bad?

Temps didn't exceed 74c~with my custom fan curve.

Solution
q8mans: I think 3dmark has the best tests to stress GPU, fire strike is really nice.
Also you cant compare your overclock with him since different 980ti models are not same boost clock speed.

When you overclock have a program like GPU-Z (use sensors tab) to see the exact boost clock speed under load. Different voltage can give different boost clock speed, i would stay at default voltage first (+0mv on the slider) or 1.175v in gpu-z.
Small increases to voltage slider can give me core clock boost, too much can also lower it.
My 980ti Msi is already boosting to 1300mhz without even touching the core clock slider.

You gain core clock when your temps are below the first throttling point (depends on mode but can be as low as 70c, big hit...
I have an aircooled 980ti and the Hybrid is supposed to be beastly. I added +105 core and +200 Memory. And I hit 75C in 24C room when gaming. Your overclock is very modest.

Have you cleaned out the radiator from dust? Have you thought about reapplying the thermal paste?

I have MSI 980ti and im hitting right now 1400mhz on the core, i actually got it stable 1500mhz with overvoltage and maxed power limit but my temperatures are around 80c under load so i dropped the overvoltage and boost clock back to 1400mhz. Will try again after repasting with liquid metal or thermal grizzly kryonaut.

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
I have MSI 980ti and im hitting right now 1400mhz on the core, i actually got it stable 1500mhz with overvoltage and maxed power limit but my temperatures are around 80c under load so i dropped the overvoltage and boost clock back to 1400mhz. Will try again after repasting with liquid metal or thermal grizzly kryonaut.
What software did you use to make sure that your GPU is stable at 1400mhz?

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
I use Unigine benchmarks: https://unigine.com/en/products/benchmarks
Also 3dmark benchmarks (google it, steam has too) , those test CPU too.

There is a point where you start losing score but not crashing, mostly with overclocking the memory. When you go too much with core it mostly crashes the driver or the benchmark. With memory you get artifacts or lose score.
I always have flickering issues with Unigine Heaven (unlike Valley) even at stock speed. It happened with my previous GPU as well at stock speed. Is it a common thing or something wrong with my GPU's?

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
I have an aircooled 980ti and the Hybrid is supposed to be beastly. I added +105 core and +200 Memory. And I hit 75C in 24C room when gaming. Your overclock is very modest.

Have you cleaned out the radiator from dust? Have you thought about reapplying the thermal paste?
How did you stress test your GPU to make sure that your OC is stable?

q8mans: I think 3dmark has the best tests to stress GPU, fire strike is really nice.
Also you cant compare your overclock with him since different 980ti models are not same boost clock speed.

When you overclock have a program like GPU-Z (use sensors tab) to see the exact boost clock speed under load. Different voltage can give different boost clock speed, i would stay at default voltage first (+0mv on the slider) or 1.175v in gpu-z.
Small increases to voltage slider can give me core clock boost, too much can also lower it.
My 980ti Msi is already boosting to 1300mhz without even touching the core clock slider.

You gain core clock when your temps are below the first throttling point (depends on mode but can be as low as 70c, big hit comes around 85c)

Solution
How did you stress test your GPU to make sure that your OC is stable?
I did small incremental increases until crashes then backed down the Core and Memory Clocks. It has been stable now for over 4years at 1435MHz. Initially, I used Furmark and UniqueHeaven. Then I made sure it didn't crash in games too.

If I were you I'd reapply thermal paste and consider adding a Noctua fan to the GPU radiator.