Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Specs are
i5 4670k
h80i cooler
gigabyte ud3h
750watt rosewell psu
8gb ram

I don't know what's going on but I always crash after awhile when playing an MMO called Blade and Soul (released recently in china).
I googled some OC settings people used for the msi 280x and I saw many people go to 1120 gpu clock speed from 1020 and 1500 memory to 1550.
When I tried that I would always crash in Blade and Soul after awhile but I would never crash if I didn't OC. So I tried putting my voltage to 1200 and set the gpu clock speed to 1120 to see if it's the gpu clock that's crashing and it did crash. I set the gpu clock to 1090 and it still crashes. So at this point I'm not even sure if going any lower on the gpu clock would even increase my FPS in the game so I didn't try.

So this time I tried setting voltage to 1220 (automatically changed to 1219) and set gpu clock to 1120 but this time when I crashed, my screen went all weird colored with lines and stuff, then it went black and i just immediately restarted my computer.
But all the other times of me crashing, my game would freeze and I would have to use task manager to close the game and windows detected the problem as AppHangB1.

not sure what to do....

Solution
Happy New Year to you too pal...

Still the black screen and lines? Then something was wrong...

But still the settings I wrote in the above post are successfully tested on MSI R9 280X... !

Double check what settings you had applied -

Core Voltage(mV) - 1250
Power Limit(%) - +20
Core Clock (MHz) - 1135
Memory Clock (MHz) - 1550
Memory Voltage (mV) - 1575
Fan Speed (%) - 100

Once again double check the settings and these settings were tested by HARDOCP under Catalyst 13.11 and they used MSI AfterBurner 3.0.0 Beta 15 to overclock the graphics card and they found that the settings worked but higher than that became somewhat unstable... Try carefully with those settings and these driver versions and I think it should work...

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I assume that you haven't done anything right... If you do not know much about overclocking do not do it custom... If you still want to do set the overclock settings to AUTO... The color screen with lines and pixel dots come when you have set wrong values of overclock for GPU... After restarting does it show still now? or it has gone? Set every overclock settings to stock one(normal,reset)... First do that ASAP or you might damage your graphics card..

Continual

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

i said that the colored lines only appeared when i set my voltage to 1219 and gpu clock to 1120 during game crash.
Yes i restarted my pc and everything obviously was set back to default and everything was working.
Every other testing i crashed with the game freezing and ending it with task manager, no black screen or anything just the game freezing and ending it with task manager.

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
See that's what I am telling setting wrong voltage and clock speed can lead to coloured lines and even BSOD...
Set everything back to normal and then use MSI AfterBurner to overclock it with this profile -

Core Voltage (mV) - 1250
Power Limit(%) - +20
Core Clock(MHz) - 1135
Memory Clock(MHz) - 1550
Fan Speed(%) - 100

Some people have overclocked till 1200 but I seem this is more stable and reliable overclock profile... It should be at somewhat 65 C ... If you try to overclock over it you may get stability issues as some see...

Continual

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

1250 core voltage? i got the colored lines trying 1219 voltage, wouldn't going higher make it worse ?
and do i really need 100% fan speed? I already have a water cooler so temps should be fine i think

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
You have a water cooler at the graphics card? If not then the water cooler you think is at the CPU will not cool down your graphics card... You are overclocking a graphics card not a CPU...

The 1.25 V would do fine... If the voltage is set wrong the graphics card will be unstable leading to those color lines... Try the profile I gave you and see how it works...As per me it would work fine.. If you want to double check then go here : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/28/msi_r9_280x_gaming_video_card_review/3#.UsFFF_QW230

They have tested this profile successfully and the graphics card showed stability issues when they tried to overclock it more than the settings I wrote above...

Continual

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

sorry for the late reply, happy new year btw.
i tried ur same settings and i still got black screen/random brown lines on my screen so i restarted my pc instantly :[

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Happy New Year to you too pal...

Still the black screen and lines? Then something was wrong...

But still the settings I wrote in the above post are successfully tested on MSI R9 280X... !

Double check what settings you had applied -

Core Voltage(mV) - 1250
Power Limit(%) - +20
Core Clock (MHz) - 1135
Memory Clock (MHz) - 1550
Memory Voltage (mV) - 1575
Fan Speed (%) - 100

Once again double check the settings and these settings were tested by HARDOCP under Catalyst 13.11 and they used MSI AfterBurner 3.0.0 Beta 15 to overclock the graphics card and they found that the settings worked but higher than that became somewhat unstable... Try carefully with those settings and these driver versions and I think it should work...

Solution