[SOLVED] HELP! Old lady tryng to upgrade 11 year old son's gaming tower for Christmas and would love to score during Black Friday!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2019
My son is 11 and needs his aging Computer parts upgraded.

I have -some- specifications on whats in this tower but I don't know what I need to do first.

there are apparently
-(4) Intel Core(TM)2 Quad Q9500 @ 2.83GHz
-Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
-Drive is a KINGSTON SV****G ATA Device
-ACPI x64

His games are starting to have a hard time booting up as his memory is getting low.

And that is all I know at this moment. hah

Just start me in the right direction!
Thank you all in advance on not crucifying me for being so dense.

Black friday is here and I need to get these parts as cheap as I can!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you happen to live close enough to a MicroCenter such that driving there to pick up a couple of parts isn't a problem, they usually have GREAT in-store deals for when buying a CPU and a motherboard as a combo.

For example, I was looking into putting together a system for my son, using either an AMD R5 1600, or R5 2600 CPU, along with the ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 motherboard.

The R5 1600 would be $79.99, and the R5 2600 would be $109.99.

The motherboard is normally $79.99, but done with a bundle with the CPU, they'll only charge $49.99. Other places charge $59.99 or more for the same motherboard - and I realize that a similar board is available for about the same price at NewEgg, though it requires going through with a mail-in rebate.

But, again, MicroCenter's bundle deals are in-store only, so this is only helpful if you happen to live within a reasonable driving distance of one of their stores.

Reactions: RodroX

Farkle333

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Unless you have a friend who has some kind of knowlege about upgrading a computer "stop". Its great to get kids building computers thats all and good but at 11 he might not have the patients to work threw the compatibility issues. Or unless you have the expetice to do it with him. Youtube is you friend here if you plan on DIY lots of help there. My advice really is to buy a used computer from Walmart "make sure its "shipped and sold" by Walmart so you can return if its a mess, Then add a good video card or more memory or whatever. That way you get all the newer parts and the OS Windows 10 for an up and running machine to swap parts. Yours son like all kids start slow.

update price, updated system, for your consideration.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($105.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT Tempest EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell SE2417HG 23.6" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $373.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 04:30 EST-0500

went to a processor that has more threads, which makes doing many things at once faster. first had 4 threads this one has 8.
much larger and much much faster SSD. HD monitor with a fast response time.

you're assuming they have a copy of windows thats transfurrable to another pc?

Reactions: JoBalz and King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would suggest a full retail copy of Windows 10. Yeah, expensive, but can be transferred again and again. I would NOT recommend getting the license from a low-priced site, they're grey-market at best.

I am assuming that if the existing system is running Windows 10, it is probably not a retail copy, but likely upgraded from Windows 7, and thus, not transferable.

Reactions: JoBalz

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Frankly? don't go 1st-gen Ryzen if you can help it - go 2nd -gen at least (more stable, less quirks) or even the cheapest 3rd-gen (3600 non-X is the smallest Zen2 chip available publicly). Get a single 8 Gb DDR4-3200 stick, this will be a nice, cheap upgrade down the line. The ASrock B450 mobo is good.

Right now DDR4 memory is fairly cheap so it's a great time to increase from 8GB to 16 GB. Looking earlier this morning, Newegg.com had several great brands (Corsair Vengence, G Skill Ripjaw memory), 16GB for $59.99. 16 GB gives plenty of memory for running games as well as background software (anti-virus software, other utilities and programs) at the same time. . **BTW, I haven't seen anyone include an operating system in the list. On newer hardware, best to go with Windows 10. If he had a retail version of Win 10 installed, he could transfer onto a new machinne. But if he has an OEM version, a motherboard change will require a new copy of Windows. Would be an unnecessary delay to have all the new hardware and no operating system!

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
I am thinking this will work :
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

I however had not thought on how to find proper mounts. Will something like this come with them or is there another way that this is found for a NZXT Tempest Evo. I am sure I will figure it out once I start taking it apart to build it back up.

All of you have helped educate me so quickly and I cannot thank you enough!

Noctua makes wonderful coolers and I normally use nothing else in my systems. That said, you pay a price for all that Noctua goodness! The AMD Ryzens that have been quoted have a good cooler (Wraith) included which can initially get you started, saving money for other parts. Upgrading the CPU cooler/fan wound only be necessary if your son overclocks his system.

Reactions: King_V

Farkle333

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Lady your getting some really bad advice here from super tech savvy computer builders. If you dont know what you want then you are barking up the wrong tree. First and foremost do you have any knowlege of swapping CPU's and understanding the motherboard compatibility issues. How about updating the bios. If you have never been inside a computer and mucked around even a little you better get a family member or a friend that has to help you guys out. It sounds like your on a budget and that is even worse if you dont know what your doing as you stated in your description.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
What if I just bought the wrong processor.. It was $150 inc s/h with a Wraith Spire LED Cooler (which I also don't know if it is worthy of mentioning) And I am now deciding to temporarily ditch the monitor until after the holidays..

I was looking at several different ones on eBay, needles to say, got mixed up and picked the
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8core 3.2-41max GHz

I am also increasing my spending to 600 at the very top end. I can't just have computer parts for him to open on Christmas. LOL

I'd say the error was on the positive side. The Ryzen 7 is a definite step up from the Ryzen 5. Not a bad price for it either.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Yes, it will, no problems... make sure the cooler is compatible with am4 boards and u get all the proper mounts... always double check...

While there are less expensive coolers, a good one that is compatible with the Ryzen 2700X is the Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-F12 120mm Fan which is $59.99 at Amazon. The reason I recommend the Noctua coolers, beyond the quality and cooling ability, is that the installation using SecuFirm2 multi-socket mounting system is one of the easiest around. In addition, should you ever want or need to change the cooler, Noctua's mount allows you to mount a new cooler+fan on top of the already existing mounts installed on the motherboard. There is now another Cooler/fan made by Scythe, the Mugan 5. The mounting system appears to be almost a ripoff of the Noctua SecureFirm2 so it sounds like it would be as easy to install as the Noctua. Runs around $49 & is compatible with AMD socket AM4. However, I haven't been able to confirm the Max TDP (heat handling capability) of the Mugan 5 so I'd err toward spending the $10 extra and go with the Noctua.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
I would suggest a full retail copy of Windows 10. Yeah, expensive, but can be transferred again and again. I would NOT recommend getting the license from a low-priced site, they're grey-market at best.

I am assuming that if the existing system is running Windows 10, it is probably not a retail copy, but likely upgraded from Windows 7, and thus, not transferable.

Agree, buying the cheap licenses is kind of dicey. Retail is more expensive but as you said, can be moved from an old computer to a new one. There is the option of buying an OEM version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro version). You can save some money over a retail version. However, be aware that 1) the OEM version is locked to the computer it's installed on. Build a new computer, you'll have to buy another copy of Windows. Also, according to what I've read, if you have to change your motherboard, it's considered a new computer and you'll have to buy another copy. 2) With the OEM version, Microsoft does not provide any technical support if you run into problems. I've always used the OEM copy but next build will consider the Retail version just to be able to use the copy when I build a new system or upgrade my motherboard and CPU.

Agree, buying the cheap licenses is kind of dicey. Retail is more expensive but as you said, can be moved from an old computer to a new one. There is the option of buying an OEM version of Windows 10 (Home or Pro version). You can save some money over a retail version. However, be aware that 1) the OEM version is locked to the computer it's installed on. Build a new computer, you'll have to buy another copy of Windows. Also, according to what I've read, if you have to change your motherboard, it's considered a new computer and you'll have to buy another copy. 2) With the OEM version, Microsoft does not provide any technical support if you run into problems. I've always used the OEM copy but next build will consider the Retail version just to be able to use the copy when I build a new system or upgrade my motherboard and CPU.
Considering a "dodgy" Windows license is usually an OEM license from another country where Microsoft sells them for less than 10 bucks (and grey market license distributors make a nice profit still), you would have to change your motherboard more than 10 times before the "legit" version becomes cost effective.
As for Microsoft support on retail versions, don't count on it - the support staff barely knows anything other than redirecting you to KB articles. Google actually works better than them. Last time I dealt with them, they wanted me to install Outlook on Linux.