HELP!! Old SSD new build. How can I reformat my HDD so I can wipe the SSD and fresh install windows.

versatilitee

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Formatted my SSD last night thinking I could plug and play with new build, wiped my HDD clean so windows is no longer on it. At this point im ok with a fresh install of windows for my build but how do i get my current windows back onto my HDD so I can wipe my SSD. Im selling my current computer to a friend all I want out of it is my SSD.

Solution

Is the current system still operational? (no matter which drive)
Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change...

USAFRet

Titan

What OS is this?

And just to be clear...you're using the SSD, and selling the old system with the HDD?

versatilitee

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

Its windows 10 and correct, i purchased another HDD earlier today along with every other part I need for the new build. Is it possible for me to build just build the new PC with the SSD that has my windows and jsut try to boot it up and then install motherboard drivers and such? If its not then I want to go with a fresh install of windows but for this current pc to work ill need to somehow get windows back onto my current HDD so I can wipe the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Is the current system still operational? (no matter which drive)
Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

This is for the OS licensing.

Then, with the all new hardware and the SSD, a clean install.
Install with only the SSD connected.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

On the system you're selling with the HDD, you can't use the same OS license.
You only have a single license, so only one PC.
You'd need to do a clean install on that HDD in the system you're selling, and leave it Unactivated for the new owner to work out his own licensing.

Solution

versatilitee

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

Ok so I have my Windows linked to my microsoft account. So now do i Fresh install windows on this current machine and then transfer the SSD over to my new build and it will boot up? or do I Build new computer, download windows installer to a flash drive, install it on new machine then do a windows reset? Sorry if im confusing you, im new to building and dont want to mess this up.

USAFRet

Titan

You do a clean install on the SSD, after the SSD is in the new PC.
Not the current one.

versatilitee

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

ok awesome thanks a bunch man!! I was worried with a new mother board and stuff that windows wouldnt load on the new build with the SSD but im going to give it a shot, If i have any problems ill come back here!

USAFRet

Titan

A new motherboard and stuff is exactly how a new PC is built...:)

versatilitee

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

I’m back with a quick question now, I finally got the computer built in a noon and it wouldn’t boot up because my ram wasn’t fully inserted but it’s running and booted from the ssd no problem. Do I need to do a fresh install of windows? Since it’s new motherboard, processor and ram? Or can I skip a fresh install since she booted up.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, you might run into issues later. But I have seen it work.
A clean install is always the best option.