Help on a processor that just doesn't want to get properly installed

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hey guys I'm pretty noob to this things and is still learning from the ground up.
Two weeks ago I bought a processor not really new but more powerful than the one I've used. It is a Core 2 duo E7400 2.80 ghz and my older one is a Pentium dual core E5200 2.50 ghz.
I've checked my motherboard and it supports the newer processor after updating the bios which I haven't done up until this sunday. Windows 10 wont boot and just shows the logo but not the spinning circles when I still haven't updated the bios.
After updating the bios, I was able to use the new processor and windows 10 boots up normaly. There is one problem though. In device manager, the processor is still labeled as the pentium one instead of the core 2 duo. I've tried to uninstall the processor hoping that after the restart it will now recognize the new processor but here comes a bigger problem, after clicking restart windows 10 wont boot up again like what happens when I still haven't updated my bios. I've inserted my old processor and It boots up fine again. Then I replace it again with the newer one and it will boot. The processor though is still the old one in device manager.
I looked it up in CPU-Z and it detects the new processor but not in device manager and task manager. I've read before that this is just cosmetics and won't affect the performance of the processor but the real problem for me is that I can't restart the pc with the new processor. Windows 10 will just freeze and I will have to reinsert the old processor and after booting replace it again with the new one. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening or even make device manager recognize my processor?Shutting down is okay but restarting is a problem and even if I don't restart my pc, if something happens that forces me to restart then this will happen. This happened to me today because when I updated my GPU driver, when I overclock the GPU to a setting that I was using and is tested, it crashed my pc probably because of a bug in the driver. Even to a 2% overclock it happened so it must be the driver.
I haven't done a fresh install of windows after the CPU change and I don't think it is needed but will it solve my problem? Can refreshing also solve the problem? Do I need to reflash my bios? Thank you in advance for those that will reply. Any information is valuable for me for it will help me when I build my first custom built pc next year ^.^

TLDR: New processor wont let me restart at it freezes when booting windows so I cant install the proper driver for it.
Update: It really is the new graphics driver that is causing me to crash when overclocking my GPU. I've used the old driver that is was last installed and is still on my hard drive and overclocking is working again ^.^

Solution
I recommend backing up your data and doing a fresh install.

Installing to a new partition? No, because the bootloader from the current install we still be in charge of the startup process.

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I've done load optimized defaults already and even cleared CMOS and no change. Will refreshing windows not have the same effect?

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

This doesn't have to mean that I have to wipe out my drive right? Will installing it in a partition do the trick?

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

How about on a separate hard drive? I might buy another 1TB HDD though and replace my 350 one but that has always been my plan.

Edit: For now I'l try to do a refresh. Not gonna hurt to try.

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Okay thanks for the answer. I'll update this thread after I do a clean install ^.^

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hey guys sorry for the late update. I have solved this problem(kind of) 3 days ago by installing windows 8 on a different hard drive. Windows 8 recognized my processor just fine and also I can restart mt pc once again. It also fixed a problem in League of Legends where I am experiencing some kind of input lag. I installed windows 8 again on the hard drive that I am using and then later installed windows 10 again. Here I found the source of the problem which is that the processor I bought which is a Core 2 duo E7400 doesn't have support for CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF which is needed to run the 64 bit version of windows 10 as well as 8.1. On my old processor there was no problem installing windows 10 64bit but on the newer one there was which is bothering me considering intel didn't give this support to a newer processor lineup but gave full support for an old pentium processor. I'll stick with windows 8 64bit for now as a temporary fix. I'll custom build a pc on october anyways with an i3 which doesn't have this problem so I'll install windows 10 there. Thank you for the responses ^^