Help on building my first PC please

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Hi all, this will be my first build. Any suggestions on ram to match my mother board, power supply, and anything else is very much appreciated. This is a secret build for my wife's birthday so I'm really excited about it and instead of starting new threads, I'll post everything in this thread as I try and figure it all out.

Here are the specs of what I am ordering so far.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPower
SSD Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Any suggestions on power supply to run all this without overdoing it?

Also looking for the fastest CD/DVD drive, not burner, as she still wants to use some old games, sim city etc.

If I forgot anything to make the system work, please let me know as I'm still a little buzzed at all the advances in tech and have not kept up on it for quite some time now. I myself am still running a 2001 Toshiba Satellite A40 with 500MB of ram and my wife has a 13 old dell dimension.

My wife is not a heavy gamer or anything like that, but I want it to be a solid machine for really fast internet as we have a new fibre optic cable now as well as for editing video's etc.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I think it will be a Home PC and as you say it's just for internet and not gaming pc so I'll change some things in the build for saving money for you and make it better but first tell me the budget

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks AntonM95, yes for home and she loves to edit pics and movies. My budget was from $500 to $1000 for the basics and I can always add extra drives, memory etc later on. I would like to start with a system that can be upgraded for a few years without changing too much if that is possible.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
OK, and your budget enough to get a complete PC not just the basics of it I'll put a build for you .it will be very well for your wife using and upgradable for about 3 years and I'll putt an SSD for OS partition for a fast booting and fast editing , but I didn't add a monitor or OS tell me if U wanna them ...
the video card that in the build is very good at editing if she using a programs from Adobe and using CUDA in addition to good at games.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jWsRwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jWsRwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $847.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-02 10:58 EDT-0400

and any Q I'll be here :)

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
That looks like a really good system. A big thank you for your help!!! OK, I have a few questions.
Could I skip the seagate for now and run everything off a 256gb samsung 840 pro for now since my
wife doesn't even use that amount of gb? I could always add the seagate later on as it develops.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
U R very welcome man, and yes you can use 256GB 840 Pro for now and it will be a pretty fast PC ...
and U made me laugh for a second because I was putting an 2TB HDD in last build :D
do U want me change the build and write it again ?
and do not forget to hit best answer to help others :)

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
yeah, she isn't using storage memory right "now" but I'm sure it will happen soon :D
No need to change the build, I understand it perfectly, thanks big time.
I did have one more question please. My local pc shop says he can sell me a MSI board at a huge deal. It is the one I originally mentioned, the MSI Z97 MPower. Will that board hurt the system in any way as you have it now, or is it just fine? He only sells MSI so it's hard to resist his prices.

Would also like to know how to hit "Best Answer" for you as I can't find where to do that. I'm new to this forum.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Ok the MSI Z97 MPower is a fantastic mobo but it's too expensive for a home using (180$) and it used for games and overclocking and CF/SLI so it have a lot advantages but you will not gonna use it , I understand what you thinking and go a head if it a good deal it worth the money and it have a Bluetooth and wifi so it is great .

and best answer is a big large green button under my answer for your questions

in here
|------|
|------|
|------|
|------|
\-----/
.\ . /
...\ /
....|

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
You're right, it really is a board that we don't need for our application and my wife does not use wifi or bluetooth either. Thanks for saving me a few extra $$.

OK, no big green best answer button under your arrow, your post, anywhere. I'm using opera, but I switched to firefox and even disabled adblock plus but still no green button to be seen except the little ones by other posts where it reads "solved".

klrman

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks man, I'm glad too :) Looking forward to the build. A little spooked with all the bios settings and such but I'll give it my best try.