Help on buying a 19 inch flat screen CRT monitor>>

G

okay, i am planning to buy a Flat screen 19 inch CRT monitor

i have these 4 choices in my mind, unfortuantely, i can only buy one of them.

here are the choices

Samsung 900NF
ViewSonic PF790
ViewSonic G90F
NEC FP955

can u help me making up my mind??

or are there any better ones?

keep in mind that i can only spend $600 cdn below

thanx!!!
thanx!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
LG Flatron 915FT PLus....There are lots of posts just like yours...try searching the forums

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I would recomend you Samsung 955DF/900IFT to 900NF.
I read a review that 900NF has noticable lines.
955DF has lower refresh rate than 900IFT. he all have flat screens, and have 0.24 dot pitch. It does 1024x768@100Hz, and 900IFT does 1024x768@120Hz and goes up to 2048xXXX resolution, while 955DF does only 1600x1200.
955DF monitor is cheap and looks great, get it at www.emscomputing.com

G

The KDS Avitron 195TF is an excellent monitor. Same as the Sony G400, but for a lot less money. The only thing the Sony does better is the corners. The corners on the G400 are a little sharper.

G

>>KDS isn't a very popular company so support may be a problem.<<

That's not true.. KDS KARES system is head over heals better compared to what you get from Sony support. But I will agree with the post about the Avitron 195TF compared to the Sony, both are using the same tube. I don't know why the Sony seems to have a little sharper image in the corner, but it does.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why do Sony monitors (and any Sony products for that matter) seem overpriced compared to the other brands? Don't tell me better quality, I've seen monitors that are just as good as Sony's for a lot less!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

I'm to lazy to do the currency conversion from $600cdn to USDs, but I recently bought a LG Flatron 915FT+ and love it. The thing is dead flat both inside and out, really bright can clear, no damper lines, and the colors are great. Compared to some other 19" flat CRTs, this can be had for a pretty resonable price.

The only other monitors I was considering when shopping for a new monitor were this one, the Hitachi CM772, Samsung 955NF, and maybe and Iilyma. Hope this helps.

Tap

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I got my Flatron for $370 US shipped. It is a pretty big monitor, though. Bring it to a LAN party and it will absolutely dwarf everybody elses OEM monitors. I like the little touch buttons for adjustment control. Very cool, very easy.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I'm debating between the Viewsonic PF790 and G90F also. Have you found anything out? I'm trying to set up a side-by-side comparison with a local vendor to pick one--I'll let you know what I see.

Save the children :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Notebook wireless LAN parties with GeForce2 GO and Mobility Radeon 7500 are the future. People aren't going to be carrying huge monitors around.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
With a Mobility Radeon 7500 coming out, hardcore Notebook gaming may become a reality.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Have you ever been to a LAN party with a laptop? Man, it sucks like hell. I don't care if my monitor weighs 70 pounds, give me pure 1280x1024 on 18 inches rather than a few dots and horrible screen sizes (talking less than 8 inches length).

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Another vote for the Flatron 915+

Simply the best 19" CRT I'ver ever seen (or bought :wink: ).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Laptop LAN parties are not viable now, but they might be when 15.7" laptop screens and the Mobility Radeon 7500 become affordable. Attach a USB gamepad to the laptop and you're set!

wkadviser

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
I bought my Samsung 900nf for cdn$529 at PC Village Canada a few months ago. It is the best monitor you can get at this price. Refresh rate and colour are incredible. Samsung support is also excellent. Unless you open a light background, you probably won't notice the wires. I definitely don't notice the wires while playing games :)