Help on cards

antoniobarbero

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I'd like to know whether for video purposes(editing,recording,etc)only and none of games, is it worthwhile a Radeon 9600 pro or a Radeon 9200 choice would be enough. Does the 9600 Pro have any advantage concerning video?
Thank you

For video editing the R9200 (or R9000 or 9100) will be fine. Even an R7500 would be ok (although the R9000 and above do have some nice aditional tweaks like video-smoothing/fullstream.

If you were adding animation and such and needed more rendering power then another card would be better. But for video editing those cards will be fine, and you will not see much if any advantage from an R9600, and definitely a PRO would be overkill. Check the price of a good Matrox card too. Likely the R9200 will be the best value for money, but if you want the best 2D and video card (especially TV out) then the Matrox line is a better choice.

That just my two frames worth, but the R9000non-pro does a good job on my video-editing rig.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
I agree with Ape except that I don't think fullstream will help if you're doing video editing. I don't think it's used except on playback of low-quality video, and even then I'm not sure which playback software will use it.

If you're editing video off of, say, a MiniDV cam, your video card doesn't really matter. A Radeon 7000 will give you just as good performance as a 9800 PRO.

THE EXCEPTION BEING if you're using the new Premiere PRO software. It uses Direct3d acceleration to provide realtime transitions... i'd imagine the fastest 3d card available would be beneficial in that case, although I have not seen anyone benchmark Premiere PRO using 3d cards.
That would be very interesting...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

The only reason I pointed out the Fullstream is because it's a nice feature (not absolutely necessary which is why I put it down as a 'tweak'). I like it and find it an interesting feature, but yes it is not a required feature for editing raw video.

However the R7000 and 7200 are actually not the same as the R9000+ in 2D performance. The Reason I put the R7500 as the one that would be equal is because it is the first of the 'third generation' cards with 400mhz RAMDACs. The R7000 has 300mhz RAMDACs and the R7200 has 360mhz RAMDACs.
This is a small issue, but it is at the heart of Matrox (360mhz RAMDACs in the older G series)) and ATI's supriority in image quality compared to the older nV cards.

I wouldn't tempt fate by going below the R7500 if you don't have to. I just find the R9000 and above will get better support and focus of drivers (especially the R9100 with all the R8500LE(s) out there).

But as always that's just my take on this.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>