Help on choosing. 400GB Hitachi or Samsung

Johnny21a

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I'm between these two drives, the SAMSUNG HD401LJ 400GB SATA2 and the SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 16MB SATA2 NCQ. I can get them for about the same price so this isn't a factor in deciding.

Which of these two drives is faster and which one is more quiet.

Anyone actually used them as I don't care about synthetic benchmarks as much as real life usage.

The Seagate comes with 5 years warranty instead of the samsung's 3 year, which by itself tells something about it's reliability. But I would rather not have any disks fail me regardless of their warranty.

What size platters are they using ?

And finally is the seagate one of the perpendicular recording drives ?

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Hmmm your subject says hitachi but your bosy says seagate and samsung

to run dwon:

Hitachi is average for speed and noise and reliability.
Seagate has average noise, fast read/write, and vgood reliability.
Samsung makes fast drives, above average but are notoriously unreliable. I know a guy who works at a local pc store than duz corporate as well so they have failry good circulation. According to him:

WD is most reliable
Seagate is next down, but still VERY GOOD, altho most ppl choose sgate for peace of mind from the warranty
Maxtor hovers between the average/dodgy line
Samsung drives are terrible - about 20% of all drives they sell come backd ead within a yuear

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Not that perpendicular recording translates into any increase in performance, but it's the new fad, and should at least make you feel warm inside ))

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Not that perpendicular recording translates into any increase in performance, but it's the new fad, and should at least make you feel warm inside ))

Not true. Perpendicular recording increases the bit density. Higher bit densities always translate to higher performance when compared to the same size drive because more bits pass under the head in the same period of time.

lumpoco

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

I beg to differ. I have worked on a number of Dell systems (over 20) that have WD drives and they have all been replaced by drives not named "Western Digital". Even the unreliable drives you want us to believe like Seagate and Samsung have performed well. I still have a stack of those "reliable" WD drives if you want them. Maybe they only work for you and your friend.

C Russell

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Please quantify Samsung performed well?
I've got a Samsung HD401LJ here on the desk out of my home pc, described by my trusted engineer as "fried", nothing was salvageable from it.
It lasted 32 months.
My wife's machine was fitted with an identical drive and managed 12 months and 3 days, it too just popped like a light bulb.
Now Samsung make an excellent American Fridge, their after sales service is excellent, I've had only three major visits to replace parts but it hasn't cost me anything and I haven't lost any data.
Buy one.