Question Help on deciding what psu is suitable for a i9 and rtx build

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi guys, im thinking to get a rtx 3060 either a i9 10th or 11th gen with a watercooling system. I’d plan to overclock my specs from mild to high at some point since i work alot with 3d rendering and game. I’ve read that a 850w would be a minimum for overclocks on this build and used the CM PSU Calculator which bring out the same results. Ive wanted to be sure if a 850w psu is enough for this system, if not what would you guys recommend?

PSU calculators are deadly accurate.
If... you have the right inputs.
Unfortunately, we do not. There are factors such as capacitor ageing or future needs that are not known.
But, here is nice chart which serves as a good rule of thumb for the wattage recommended:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
The 850w you suggested would be about right.
You could manage with less, but, who knows, you may end up upgrading to a 3090.

Quality has an important consideration also.
A quality unit will exceed specs.
Here is one chart of quality tiers:
If you have no other guidance, look for a psu with at least a 7 to 10 year warranty.

I have been very satisfied with Seasonic.

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
PSU calculators are deadly accurate.
If... you have the right inputs.
Unfortunately, we do not. There are factors such as capacitor ageing or future needs that are not known.
But, here is nice chart which serves as a good rule of thumb for the wattage recommended:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
The 850w you suggested would be about right.
You could manage with less, but, who knows, you may end up upgrading to a 3090.

Quality has an important consideration also.
A quality unit will exceed specs.
Here is one chart of quality tiers:
If you have no other guidance, look for a psu with at least a 7 to 10 year warranty.

I have been very satisfied with Seasonic.

Ive found an antec hcg-850m and a seasonic focus gm-850 from local resellers, are these good enough?

Danra

Distinguished
May 25, 2005
Quality is more important than wattage, at least in large part. I had no problems running my i9 9900KS [runs 5.0GHz all of the time] and an MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X which uses about 100 more watts than RTX3090s from other companies. I have had the CPU up to 5.2 GHz with no problem and overclocked the video card for benchmarks only. There is very little use for a daily gaming rig to run a CPU over 5GHz and overclocking the 3090 to game at 1440p and at 460 watts was a waste of electricity.

My power supply: Seasonic PX-850

I do tend to get a bigger power supply than needed. If I had purchased an RTX 3090 from a different company a high quality 750 watt PSU would have been fine, I would have purchased a Seasonic PX-750.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS