Question Help on dual display configuration

augie.rinaldo

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hi. I'm having a problem about dual display. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 (Radeon HD3000 onboard graphics)
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: MSI Radeon R7 250 1GB

A. At first I was using this Samsung S24F350FHE monitor with HDMI cable connected to the Radeon R7. It works perfectly fine, using 1080p resolution. Recently I got AOC i2757FM monitor from my friend, so I decide to use this monitor as my main display and the Samsung as secondary. Radeon R7 has 1x HDMI, 1xD-SUB, and 1x DVI port so I tried using HDMI for AOC and D-SUB for Samsung. I used extended display setting on windows and the AOC works fine on 1920x1080 but the Samsung can only do 1600x1200 and can't go higher. I already tried to uninstall the device, reinstall it, and even reinstalling the graphics driver but none of them works. Then i tried to clone the display, hoping both monitors will run the same resolution but still in the Samsung the display is cramped and ghosting.

B. So I tried to connect only the AOC to the D-SUB port on Radeon R7 and i was surprised when the AOC was showing 'input not recognized' notification. The display is blurry and on wrong resolution. I opened windows display setting and found the 1980x1080 res wasn't available, maxed at 1600x1200, just the same as the Samsung on first scenario.

C. At last i tried to connect the Samsung to my onboard HDMI port and the AOC to Radeon R7 HDMI port, but it doesn't even works. The AOC is working fine as before but the Samsung isn't shown in device manager so i think the onboard graphics port isn't working (maybe because the CPU I'm using).

So my question is:
  1. Does D-SUB connection support 1080p?
  2. If the answer for question 1 is YES, does it mean D-SUB port on my Radeon R7 broken? Or the cable broken? (Point B)
  3. How can I set both monitors on 1080p res?
I hope the information provided is enough. Looking forward for solutions. Thanks :D

Last edited:

augie.rinaldo

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
  1. Yes, it should work.
  2. Hard to say, assuming that the monitor is not defective. I would recommend using a DVI to HDMI cable.
  3. See above
For enabling the onboard, try setting in BIOS Init Display First to OnChipVGA.

Okay, will D-SUB - DVI adapter works? About enabling the onboard, I've checked BIOS but can't find that settings.