Help on first time building gaming computer

4WetOreos

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Hey guys, so I am finally deciding to build my own gaming pc due to the fact that next-gen consoles aren't going to be as great as I thought they would be. So anyways, I will mostly be playing Bf3, Bf4, Arma 3, and possibly Watch Dogs.....So I'm wondering if what I am going to purchase will work alright, I am not aiming for 1080p Ultra settings or anything. More around Medium to High settings, and good framerates. Any help is appreciated, please let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
Cpu: AMD FX 6300
Gpu: Sapphire Radeon 7770
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L
Ram: 4g Corsair Vengence DDR3
Psu: Corsair 500W
Case: NZXT Source 210
-For a hardrive, I will be using one that I got from one of my older computers.

Thanks Again!

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

That's a perfectly fine goal! I see you didn't mention an OS, this build I'm going to link doesn't have one. If you do need one then then just include one: since you don't need the HDD it will still cost around $500. If you don't need an OS then get this GPU instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx795atnfc
Here it is: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kirilmatt/saved/2aOM

You could probably get a decent over clock too!

4WetOreos

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Thanks! Looks like a great setup! What exactly is overclocking? And how would I go about this? Sorry I'm not really smart when it comes to this stuff.

4WetOreos

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
One more question, could I use ubuntu for now? And later on upgrade to windows, I'm just wondering if Steam will work on it?

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

If you aren't really aware about overclocking then don't do it, but overclocking is increasing the speed(Ghz) of your components( in this case the CPU). It is not for beginners so I wouldn't try it if you aren't comfortable, but it is an option for the future! Glad I could help!

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

For sure! If you go to windows you'll have to re-install everything though!

4WetOreos

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Damn, well ubuntu actually looks quite nice in my opinion. I will only be using this for gaming, soo I might keep it on ubuntu. Idk. One last question, sorry. On what settings and around what kind of framerates do you think I could expect from this on a game like Battlefield 3?

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Remember that not all games run on linux and that drivers may not be as well optimized as windows. I would recommend windows for gaming. However AMD FX CPUs run better on linux then windows, so I'd keep that in mind! As for framerates the HD 7870 should play on high and the 7950 would play on high/ultra maybe. I don't have these exact components so I can't check, but it will be high to ultra, which is wicked for $500! Hope this helps you out! Btw don't forget to pick the best answer when youre ready! :)