Help on first upgrade

Xx_GhostWolf_xX

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Ok, I recently aquired an iBuypower pc with an AMD FX-6300 OC'ed to 4.3GHz (had to bring it down to 4GHz because of stock cooler), 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 300W PSU, a basic Mini-ATX mobo, and an HD7730 GPU. I use this primarily for gaming, and was curious as to what my first upgrade should be? I was thinking of swapping the PSU and GPU to a corsair 800W and either GTX660 or AMD R9 270 respectively. I am pretty budget-minded so any suggestions for a more performance-to-price component would be appreciated. I am wanting to game at 1920X1080 and play more modern games at ultra with ~60FPS. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I do plan on dumping ~$1500+ into this over time

Solution
By all means grab the bigger PSU if you intend to go CF/SLI, although personally I'd still go with a smaller unit and a single card configuration.
For the SLI/CF option I would, without any hesitation at all, put the GTX760 at the top of my suggestions, it's as close to a bargain as you can find ATM, easily capable of playing ANYTHING out there at 1080 res and high settings-Ultra in more than a few cases-all on its own, not bad for a sub $300 card.
If you don't have quite that much in the piggy bank ATM, the R9 270 makes a good second choice.
Don't go for the GTX660, they're getting scarce and expensive, you'll probably have a problem getting a second card at a reasonable price if you decide to SLI it.
Look on the iBuypower website...
The CPU is strong but not quite up to running the MOST demanding games at ultra settings-it just cannot give even a very fast graphics card enough data run a demanding game at 1080 rez and ultra settings.
Again, neither the GTX660 or R9 270 will run the MOST demanding games at 1080 and Ultra settings.
Note my use of MOST demanding, in many cases your rig with a R9 270/GTX660 will run even those at high/very high smoothly you'll just need to set your expectations a little lower for games like BF4, Crysis 3, Metro LL etc.
There's no need for a 800 Watt powersupply, EVGA are currently making some very good and inexpensive 550Watt units which would be ideal for your system and plans.
The cards you mention are good choices but we really need to know what you total budget it before making any firm recommendations.
And one last point: What case is the system installed in? Small (SFF) or slimline cases will severely limit your upgrade options.

EDIT: Thanks for telling us your budget while I was typing. ;)

MC_K7

Distinguished
800W is overkill for a single card. I'd get a better quality PSU but not neccessarily too powerful (more Watt doesn't mean better quality). For a single card, 600W is enough to run even the most powerful card given that it is a decent quality PSU.

Here's the one I got in my own machine. It's the Corsair HX650 it's high-end quality: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

If you're on a budget, check out the CX series from Corsair instead but of course it's not the same quality as the HX series.

Instead of a GTX-660 (it's a card from last year), I'd pick the new GTX-760 instead it's much better. But if you don't want to break the 200$ limit for your GPU, I'd get the Radeon R9 270 you were lookign at.

Xx_GhostWolf_xX

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear on the budget. I'm planning on upgrading it over time as I don't have that money right away lol, my upgrade path would be PSU ~800W>GPU>HAF X case>990FX mobo> another GPU for CFX/SLI and possibly an SSD as well as accessories or other options.

Edit: I currently have a mid tower

It is still pretty confusing, just tell us your current budget for PSU and GPU. Without knowing your budget I can suggest you GTX 770 and XFX 550W PRO PSU, roughly for 400$$.

But if you want a future SLI then I would suggest you 750-800W PSU, else no need for that. And don't go with Crossfire it never works better, SLI would be a better option. But I always prefer a single powerful card no matter if its NVidia or AMD.

Before buying anything make the measurements of the case/cabinet, and I think your current MB's RAM slot's will block the way of GPU, so make the calculations first. Practically you are upgrading everything so why not the CPU too ? A 8 core CPU will be better for everything. Good luck.

By all means grab the bigger PSU if you intend to go CF/SLI, although personally I'd still go with a smaller unit and a single card configuration.
For the SLI/CF option I would, without any hesitation at all, put the GTX760 at the top of my suggestions, it's as close to a bargain as you can find ATM, easily capable of playing ANYTHING out there at 1080 res and high settings-Ultra in more than a few cases-all on its own, not bad for a sub $300 card.
If you don't have quite that much in the piggy bank ATM, the R9 270 makes a good second choice.
Don't go for the GTX660, they're getting scarce and expensive, you'll probably have a problem getting a second card at a reasonable price if you decide to SLI it.
Look on the iBuypower website, it's rare to see an OEM board that allows overclocking so I have a suspicion the motherboard may very well be capable of taking the superior FX83xx chips.

Solution