Help on installing Fritz 7, please

I used to have Fritz 7 installed on my Win 98 system and removed it a year
ago.
Now I want to reinstall it but I can't.
When I try to install the program, the error message says,

"An Installation Support file
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel32\ctor.dll
Could not be installed.
Access denied."

Also I downloaded Blitzin program from Internet Chess Club and tried to
install it
but I got the same message and could not install it.

I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at the exact
location as
in the error message.

I could not delete or move the file.

Could someone help me solve this problem, please?
I'd appreciate it very much.

Thank you.
Young Lee

Young Lee wrote:
> I used to have Fritz 7 installed on my Win 98 system and removed it a year
> ago.
> Now I want to reinstall it but I can't.
> When I try to install the program, the error message says,
>
> "An Installation Support file
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel32\ctor.dll
> Could not be installed.
> Access denied."
>
> Also I downloaded Blitzin program from Internet Chess Club and tried to
> install it
> but I got the same message and could not install it.
>
> I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at the exact
> location as
> in the error message.
>
> I could not delete or move the file.
>
> Could someone help me solve this problem, please?
> I'd appreciate it very much.
>
> Thank you.
> Young Lee

As you've realized, it's not about Fritz or Blitzin.

Do you have efficient anti-virus? Anti-spyware (like Spybot and
Ad-aware)? Everything is updated, and used frequently to reduce the
possibillity of malware? Unfortunately it's neccesary to have good
protection against "creeps".

In most cases where deletion or moving a file isn't possible, it's
either because of malware (virus, spyware or hi-jack attempts etc.), or
because the the file is in use!

Have you checked the attribute of the ctor.dll? It should only be
"archive" - and nothing else.

Check this - start where you like, and ask if you like.

HD

"HD" <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Young Lee wrote:
> > I used to have Fritz 7 installed on my Win 98 system and removed it a
year
> > ago.
> > Now I want to reinstall it but I can't.
> > When I try to install the program, the error message says,
> >
> > "An Installation Support file
> > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel32\ctor.dll
> > Could not be installed.
> > Access denied."
> >
> > Also I downloaded Blitzin program from Internet Chess Club and tried to
> > install it
> > but I got the same message and could not install it.
> >
> > I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at the exact
> > location as
> > in the error message.
> >
> > I could not delete or move the file.
> >
> > Could someone help me solve this problem, please?
> > I'd appreciate it very much.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Young Lee
> >

> As you've realized, it's not about Fritz or Blitzin.
>
> Do you have efficient anti-virus? Anti-spyware (like Spybot and
> Ad-aware)? Everything is updated, and used frequently to reduce the
> possibillity of malware? Unfortunately it's neccesary to have good
> protection against "creeps".
>
> In most cases where deletion or moving a file isn't possible, it's
> either because of malware (virus, spyware or hi-jack attempts etc.), or
> because the the file is in use!
>
> Have you checked the attribute of the ctor.dll? It should only be
> "archive" - and nothing else.
>
> Check this - start where you like, and ask if you like.
>
> HD

Thank you for your response.
The attribute of the file is "archive".
I'll get an anti-virus program and start checking.

Thanks,
Young Le

ceebee

"Young Lee" <NOSPAMlee.young.s@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at
> the exact location as
> in the error message.
>
> I could not delete or move the file.

Never underestimate the power of Google.

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453079808

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

Young Lee wrote:

> I used to have Fritz 7 installed on my Win 98 system and removed it a year
> ago.
> Now I want to reinstall it but I can't.
> When I try to install the program, the error message says,
>
> "An Installation Support file
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel32\ctor.dll
> Could not be installed.
> Access denied."
>
> Also I downloaded Blitzin program from Internet Chess Club and tried to
> install it
> but I got the same message and could not install it.
>
> I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at the exact
> location as
> in the error message.
>
> I could not delete or move the file.
>
> Could someone help me solve this problem, please?
> I'd appreciate it very much.
>
> Thank you.
> Young Lee

Have you tried to install the both programs with administrator rights?
Sounds like an access restriction to me.

good luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pein
Berlin

Peter Pein wrote:
> Young Lee wrote:
>

> Have you tried to install the both programs with administrator rights?
> Sounds like an access restriction to me.
>
> good luck,
> Peter

I don't think such as 'adminstrator rights' exists in win98.

HD

CeeBee wrote:
> "Young Lee" <NOSPAMlee.young.s@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>

>>I checked my computer and found the ctor.dll file is there at
>>the exact location as
>>in the error message.
>>
>>I could not delete or move the file.
>

> Never underestimate the power of Google.
>
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453079808

'ctor.dll' is a InstallShield(R) component. In itself it's unlikely that
it is doing more harm - with regards to security - than so many other
components in windows. It seems to be a part of many (if not all)
installation processes. I wouldn't try to remove it, unless I had proof
of some kind of infection.

Young Lee:

The problem however, is that it seems to be preventing installing of
two - maybe more - programs. Or at least it's involved in the problem.

For now I'll suggest:
To re-start the machine without anything else than absolutely most
necessary programs running - this includes attention to those who are
set to start automatically.
Then try installation again - and I suggest trying other programs that
requires full installation as well.

-- And still I'd recommend Spybot and Ad-Aware highly!!! They are free.
With updated detection-files, and runned for a full system scan, I'm
sure you'll find a lot of garbage!

There still seem to be several possibillities, so trial and error should
help.

HD

HD wrote:
> Peter Pein wrote:
>
>> Young Lee wrote:
>>

>> Have you tried to install the both programs with administrator rights?
>> Sounds like an access restriction to me.
>>
>> good luck,
>> Peter
>>

> I don't think such as 'adminstrator rights' exists in win98.
>
> HD

I have overlooked that, sorry
--
Peter Pein
Berlin

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe Fritz wasn't completely
uninstalled the last time. I'm not sure if Win98 has these features but, if
you can, do a global search for files and search the registry and ini files.

As a last resort, call or write ChessBase. I had a problem with software,
probably Norman anti-virus. I had downloaded and installed a trial version
and then bought the full product. It wouldn't let me install because the
trial version had expired. I had to go to customer support to find out
there was a file somewhere that needed to be deleted.

Good luck,

Dan

"Peter Pein" <petsie@arcor.de> wrote in message
> HD wrote:
> > Peter Pein wrote:
> >
> >> Young Lee wrote:
> >>

> >> Have you tried to install the both programs with administrator rights?
> >> Sounds like an access restriction to me.
> >>
> >> good luck,
> >> Peter
> >>

> > I don't think such as 'adminstrator rights' exists in win98.
> >
> > HD
> >
> I have overlooked that, sorry
> --
> Peter Pein
> Berlin

ceebee

HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

> 'ctor.dll' is a InstallShield(R) component. In itself it's
> unlikely that it is doing more harm - with regards to security -
> than so many other components in windows. It seems to be a part
> of many (if not all) installation processes. I wouldn't try to
> remove it, unless I had proof of some kind of infection.

If you reread the message of the OP you will notice that Fritz wants
to install that installation support file (ctor.dll), but is
_prevented_ from doing so, because the file ctor.dll is already
there, as the OP also claims. This is caused because the already
available spyware version won't let itself be replaced.

The locked ctor.dll is most likely Hotbar, a well known BHO, used to
customize the IE browser navigation bar, but spyware.
It logs websites you're visiting ad targets you with specified ads
in the navigation bar.

If the OP ever installed Hotbar, he knows where it's coming from.

--

CeeBee wrote:
> HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:
>

>>'ctor.dll' is a InstallShield(R) component. In itself it's
>>unlikely that it is doing more harm - with regards to security -
>>than so many other components in windows. It seems to be a part
>>of many (if not all) installation processes. I wouldn't try to
>>remove it, unless I had proof of some kind of infection.
>

> If you reread the message of the OP you will notice that Fritz wants
> to install that installation support file (ctor.dll), but is
> _prevented_ from doing so, because the file ctor.dll is already
> there, as the OP also claims. This is caused because the already
> available spyware version won't let itself be replaced.
>
> The locked ctor.dll is most likely Hotbar, a well known BHO, used to
> customize the IE browser navigation bar, but spyware.
> It logs websites you're visiting ad targets you with specified ads
> in the navigation bar.
>
> If the OP ever installed Hotbar, he knows where it's coming from.

I agree with you, if the error is so logical.
My anti-spyware expert disagree to the point where he says, that before
the system has been checked for spyware as well as virus, it isn't clear
what's wrong, except that 'ctor.dll' isn't "touchable." He also asked
why you said it should be Hotbar - why not CoolWebSearch, or anything else?
Still, I think, for a starter that a sufficient scan with anti-spyware
and anti-virus programs should be conducted before judging.
I've been fighting files a couple of times before, acting just like this
"ctor.dll", and in those cases is was hi-jacks (attempts)/CoolWebSearch,
but I don't dare be too sure about anything just yet.

Anything that helps is good.

Regards