Help on my hard drive issue?

Mason1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hello, My computer has been giving me significant isasues lately. I am attempting to install windows on a brand new hard drive. The hard drive is recognized in bios but not in windows 7 setup. I have attempted turning it to sata AHCI but it will not start setup that way. are there any tricks im missing?

If it's a regular hard drive then it shouldn't make any difference what the sata mode is , AHCI or IDE. What I would do is look on you motherboard and make sure that your connecting to the sata port that is controlled by the Intel chip. If your connecting to a sata3 port and your motherboard has 4 of them then chances are the Intel chip will control 2 and a Marvell chip will control the other 2. So look in your motherboard manual and see which 2 are controled by the Intel chip and connect to the first port in that sequence. If by some chance the controller need a driver loaded then you can select load driver in the install sequence and have the driver from the MB cd loaded onto a usb and then load it at that point of the install.

Mason1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
it is asking for a driver cd in instalation but i no longer have a motherboard cd...is there somewhere i can get one. i have a P5QL-VM EPU/CG5270/DP asus
mother board and i havent been abnle to really determine which file to download

Mason1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I took this hard drive and installed windows on it from a different computer. It works just fine so i took it and plugged it back into this computer and even though it shows the HD in the Sata area of bios when i go to boo priority popup menu then it only shows the cdrom. and if i just go straight to boot with hard drive in the boot priority in the bios it starts going back to reboot and select proper boot device.

tommywaaf

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
mason your issue is your storage driver not working. Go into your bios and look for Sata Mode, or Sata Compatability or something like that where AHCI is listed, change that to either Compatable or IDE. This will work but not give full speed.
If you want AHCI to work, you will need to download onto a flash drive the AHCI drivers you should be able to download, then point to them and then windows installer should be able to see the drive.

tommywaaf

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
1 other thing that might work fast, You may have 2 sata controllers on your motherboard, if thats the case they will either be located slightly different spots on the motherboard. Try plugging it into 1 area, then boot to install CD. If no work, then try the other area of motherboard.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
If you installed the OS on a different computer, that other computer would have to be an Intel or Asus motherboard for the hdd to work on your motherboard. If the other PC was Gigabyte or AMD then the hdd will not work on the Asus motherboard (different chipset layout).

Set the primary boot to the hdd in the bios.

tommywaaf

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Thats not necessarily true, ive been able to boot all sorts of weird combos. Even an AMD to intel, and intel to amd. and many many many different motherboard combinations. Its more important of the chipset then the brand, gigabyte and asus make motherboards with the same chipset. These will probably both boot eachothers os.
But yes its got the best chance of working if the chipsets are similar.

Mason1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

OK so ive attempted both achi and ide in both compatible and enhanced...still no luck...theres also only one set of SATA ports...

I was however able to repartition my drive and set it to NTSF so it now shows up under CHKDSK and DISKPART in command prompt but still no hard drive in windows 7.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Consider the system format -
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2801/exfat_versus_fat32_versus_ntfs/

Update -
If upon instalation of the OS, message box asks for an install Cd of drivers then you either have it or you don't have it. If you do not have the install CD then click NO or Cancel option and continue with the installation, you can do an auto update after the initial OS install to get update drivers however, you would be wise to go to the manufacturer of each hardware item for the latest driver for your current OS.