HELP ON MY HP s5390d SLIMLINE PC VIDEO CARD PROBLEM

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
this one is a really big issue for me... i really need your help!!!! ;)

i think i have a problem with my video card. when i play games in my computer(specially PC games and Warcraft), there are some brief pauses that i encounter(even if i am already playing in the middle of the game. im sure its not LAG or SPIKE because when i encounter these "brief pauses" it takes 3-5 seconds and i really know when it happens). but i am wondering because my pc has good specs.
btw, this is the specs of my video card and system:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50468243@N02/4632325322/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50468243@N02/4632328652/sizes/o/

pls explain EVERYTHING!!!!!! that i need to know whether if i need to change my video card, etc. also, can you give me a diagnosis of what is really my problem?? i just have a clue (i think its because of the slimline pc design), but i just don't fully understood it. PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS! help me :)

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Has this been happening since you setup your PC or did it just start this? It could be heat build up after some use. The slimline pcs' are notorious for heat issues. You do not have a video card you have integrated graphics. I would check into a video card upgrade. If it played fine before then there is something else happening.

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

when i installed DOTA, i already experience those brief pauses. and also, what is the connection of heat in here?(sorry, i dnt know these things T.T) and what are the effects?

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Once components start heating up things will start to throttle down to keep from burning up. I agree with rolli59 you need a video card.

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

you can say that i am a liitle "slow", but what is the relation of this 220watt PSU to my problem? pls elaborate thoroughly :)
also, what other GPUs can also solve my problems?? is it as long as a low profile one?

A likely cause of your problem is heat build up in your computer case. When sensors read that components are becoming too hot, they automatically throttle down your CPU or graphic system. You can test this theory by downloading and using hardware monitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

After running hardware monitor for a few gaming sessions you might remove the side case of your computer and run it to see if it helps your temperatures. It's also a good idea to clean your computer of dust which can inhibit cooling. rollis reference to your power supply is that if you want to upgrade your integrated graphics by using a discrete video card to improve performance your system will use more power with a discrete card then with the integrated graphics. He ran the numbers and says it's safe for you to use a HD5570 LOW PROFILE graphic card in your system to upgrade your performance.

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

ah... now i get it. so it's really the heat which is the problem here?? but, im just wondering why it is slimline PCs which encounter these problem and not the regular desktops out there??? how can LOW PROFILE graphic card resolves my problem (just curious... i dont want to waste money :)). also, can u recomment other LOW PROFILE graphic cards that is suitable for gaming?

Temperatures are just a likely cause. Run Hardware monitor and take note of your temps, clean your system with "canned air". Slimline cases often have poor cooling with only single fans and low airflow, but it's something you can check easily enough. While the 5570 will perform better for gaming then your integrated graphics, it's not really a "gaming graphic card", your 220 watt power supply will restrict your options in terms of how powerful a graphic card you can use without switching to a higher wattage power supply to support a more powerful graphic card.

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

ah... but these LOW PROFILE video cards will not be restricted by my power supply and is good for gaming??? if yes, can you give me more video cards to choose? i really appreciate your help :)