Question Help on new upgraded system that doesn't get to setup/bios ?

Aug 26, 2023
Hi and thanks in advance for any direction or help you can provide!

My problem is that it turns on and posts and but only gets to the main screen. It doesn't get to bios or setup. It says "Next you will enter the UEFI settings menu after the AMI Bios posts the detected hardware.

ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI ACPI BIOS Rev 1017
11th GEN Intel I5-11400 @2.6 GHz
DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 2 x G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
OCZ MODXTREAMPRO 700W PS (brought forward from original build)
MSI GFORCE GTX1050 TI OC edition

I cleared the CMOS and it changed to more of "you need to recover BIOS settings" but I can't get into the BIOS.
Other things I tried:
Removed one stick of RAM, no change. Swapped with other stick, no change.
Cleared CMOS as said above. Changes to needing more setup but still no setup or bios entry.
It does state 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse and 2 HUBS detected.

I upgraded on older system that was a 1st Gen i5 by replacing the main components to effectively boost it back to life and perhaps make it Win 11 ready.
Parts carried forward:
Team Group T253X6001T SSD I had previously upgraded to.
An LG Blue Ray DVDRW drive.
Thermaltake Case.

I've built many machines and usually don't have an issue even if there's an issue I can find and fix it. This one has be stumped as to where to turn so hoping someone can suggest something I haven't thought of or tried already.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
So of all the upgrades you ever made, you always carried the weaker PSU to a more Watt munching new PC ?
I don't think the PSU is the cause, yet, but it's not excluded AND your GPU is OC Edition.
Have you connected 2 separate power wires to this GPU ?
Since an old system, did you buy a new CMOS battery ?
You do understand that "clearing CMOS" power up is simply for defaulting the settings to original not accessing Bios or doing anything ? You shut down right after that, put the battery back in & then start again.

Aug 26, 2023
So of all the upgrades you ever made, you always carried the weaker PSU to a more Watt munching new PC ?
I don't think the PSU is the cause, yet, but it's not excluded AND your GPU is OC Edition.
Have you connected 2 separate power wires to this GPU ?
Since an old system, did you buy a new CMOS battery ?
You do understand that "clearing CMOS" power up is simply for defaulting the settings to original not accessing Bios or doing anything ? You shut down right after that, put the battery back in & then start again.
I replaced the motherboard and cpu with those listed, so, yes, it's a new cmos battery.
The PSU was a consideration but it is more than adequate for the task and while it may be old it's still working fine. The rig is far from under powered. The symptoms do not reflect a power issue in my opinion.
The GPU is an OC edition but I'm not OCing it. It does not have a power connection outside the PCIe slot.
And, yes, I'm well aware of what clearing the CMOS does and did power it off first, then removed the battery, pressed power and held it a few times to discharge any residual load then reinstalled the battery to modest changes but no improvement.
This was one of the suggestions made in some other discussions of similar issues and I hoped I would see it force the system into setup/bios. It didn't so here I am asking for help.

Aug 26, 2023
Also tried setting MB PCIE to 3.0 ? GTX is a 3.0 but MB is 4.0 on the x16s.
Can't set anything until I get into the setup/bios. a 3.0 card in a 4.0 shouldn't be an issue according to what I have read and the fact they are backwards compatable. I'd be a bit more worried if it was a 4.0 card going in a 3.0 slot but even that is reportedly not a problem either.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I've seen people complain when the board is not setup, as cards will not be "upwards" compatible.
As to "HUBS" I find that odd, was this board Flashed with the wrong file(s) ? It's either that or a HW incompatibility matter.

Aug 26, 2023
I've seen people complain when the board is not setup, as cards will not be "upwards" compatible.
As to "HUBS" I find that odd, was this board Flashed with the wrong file(s) ? It's either that or a HW incompatibility matter.
Understood and thanks for the ideas. No flash. No changes out of the box. It has sat for a while after I did the upgrades because I didn't have time to check it out. Just now getting time to work on it.
Had a problem with a case fan that was actually popping the memory up and it wasn't giving any display at all. I relocated the fan and it's now displaying the main screen but nothing I do puts it in setup/bios. That's why I am stumped. Maybe I will try flashing it but getting to the main screen and not going to bios doesn't seem like that will be it. I will disconnect the USB hubs. I thought it may be a keyboard issue but it's responding to keyboard inputs such as CTL-ALT-DEL to reboot so will keep going. It's on a KVM but it's working fine. I'll have to relocate a physical keyboard to eliminate that.
Just was hoping someone would see this and say "ah, yeah, seen that" and suggest something I hadn't thought of yet. I can't even change the boot order because I can't get into the bios to do it. Will try a DVD boot when I have time or a USB boot drive...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023
Good morning and thanks to all for the ideas and comments. This topic can be considered closed.
Between some assistance from another forum and additional web searches it turns out I probably need to update the BIOS, which I was able to do finally. I didn't think I could but ASUS has a Crash Free bios feature that worked to get me into BIOS. After that there were some settings that had to be changed to see my old hard drive and boot up normally.
It took longer as I have been busy and this wasn't a system I had to have running immediately. It's up and right now it's updating from months of sitting dormant.
I do appreciate the responses.

Latest posts