Question Help on OG HTC Vive headset keep going on searching and grey view when putting it on.

crez3088

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
I really need help on this, I did almost everything that was advised on the troubleshooting pages, like changing usb port to use, cover reflective area, unplug wifi, restarting/reset power and disable camera. I tried looking for answer but most end up being an abandoned thread.

More info, base stations is on green and able to track the wands. I think I set it up like what recommended by Vive guide and my space is small. I'm also able to play a bit in VR home but then it will suddenly be on search again. I'm not even able to look on the floor, it will immediately turn grey view.

I also already did:
-clean the HMD and keeping my hair clear.
-set the base as B & C, both is at opposite corners of the play area.
-check the bases on A mode, can only detected the wands.
-updated BIOS and drivers available from Asus site.
-Power options is on High Performance also untick the power off USB options for USB Root Hub
-Try the VR on a laptop with i7+GTX960m. No issue with tracking but have no display, it keep saying gpu unable to connect to HMD display.
- used USBDeview to uninstall the VR drivers.

Recently, I found that it seems I might actually need to touch the HMD cable with my skin and not putting my bare feets to my floor. I can now put it on my head and do stuffs in VRHome again but with just ok tracking and I apparently need to wear shoes while using it. Highly impractical and blasphemous for asian me lol

I still can't look at the direction of my PC for some reason(it will turn gray) and it is better for me to be seated to have good enough tracking. What sort of interference am I having here? What should I do to fix this?

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 3060ti
Asus B550m-a Prime
16GB 3600Mhz CL18 Ram
500GB SSD + 2TB HDD
Seasonic 860w PSU

crez3088

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
Quite strange about the feet thing. Have you tried connecting the base stations with the cable? I have had better tracking results this way than relying on the wireless
Yeah, tried it with sync cable, the tracking got even worse and I need to put the HMD's cable coil at the top of the headset to even get detected. Can't even be put on my head.