Question Help on upgrade

May 23, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm here looking for advice on what components to upgrade next. I built my pc from scratch less than 2 years ago I believe, I didn't know much, asked some friends for advice and tried to make a budget build. Screwed up here and there but eventually got my pc together, could play pretty much anything on high settings with AA AF and v-sync off but now I feel I can try to invest and get it better. Was mainly considering getting a better case with more fans and a decent 500gb ssd but I believe that my motherboard is holding me back because it has no overclock capability, but I've seen people telling me not to spend on a dead 7th gen platform. Then somone suggested getting more ram, but from what I've seen the improvement isn't much, performance wise.
I'm on a tight budget and thinking of upgrading gradually over the next couple of months. What would be the biggest boost at the moment?
I mainly play pubg and apex.

Here are my specs:

B250M Pro-vd (ms-7a74)

PSU:evga 450b 80+ bronze 450w

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz

Msi Radeon RX 580 Series 8 gb

DDr4 kingston 2133MHz 8gb dual channel ram

SSD kingston Suv400s37120g 128gb

Western Digital blue 5400 rpm

Thanks so much in advance for your input. have a great day

First and foremost, would strongly recommend a PSU upgrade. That PSU you're using is a fire hazard waiting to happen, that too with a powerful card like an RX 580. Get a good power supply before anything else. I would recommend the Corsair CX550 if you're on a tight budget, and if you can spend a bit more then you can refer to the following Tier List and pick a unit from the top three tiers. I would personally recommend a SeaSonic Focus Gold or focus Plus Gold. Here's the list:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/?tab=comments#comment-12402695

After you have a good PSU, the next best upgrade would be a complete platform upgrade to Ryzen 3000 when it comes out. The rumored SKU's have enormous potential of taking the market by storm, and they would build awesome systems at not very high prices. Wait for Ryzen 3000 since you're planning on upgrading over a few months anyway - wait for the launch issues to clear up first, then buy the chip that you deem the best upgrade(A Ryzen 5 3000 series will probably be an 8-core chip, so that will be quite an upgrade from your current processor). Of course, to upgrade to Ryzen, you will also need a different motherboard as well as faster RAM, so you should start saving up as soon as possible. I would also suggest getting a good SSD, your storage configuration isn't exactly great at the moment - especially the 5400 RPM HDD.

May 23, 2019
First and foremost, would strongly recommend a PSU upgrade. That PSU you're using is a fire hazard waiting to happen, that too with a powerful card like an RX 580. Get a good power supply before anything else. I would recommend the Corsair CX550 if you're on a tight budget, and if you can spend a bit more then you can refer to the following Tier List and pick a unit from the top three tiers. I would personally recommend a SeaSonic Focus Gold or focus Plus Gold. Here's the list:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/?tab=comments#comment-12402695

After you have a good PSU, the next best upgrade would be a complete platform upgrade to Ryzen 3000 when it comes out. The rumored SKU's have enormous potential of taking the market by storm, and they would build awesome systems at not very high prices. Wait for Ryzen 3000 since you're planning on upgrading over a few months anyway - wait for the launch issues to clear up first, then buy the chip that you deem the best upgrade(A Ryzen 5 3000 series will probably be an 8-core chip, so that will be quite an upgrade from your current processor). Of course, to upgrade to Ryzen, you will also need a different motherboard as well as faster RAM, so you should start saving up as soon as possible. I would also suggest getting a good SSD, your storage configuration isn't exactly great at the moment - especially the 5400 RPM HDD.

Yeah I remember getting slithly pissed with my hdd back when I built the pc, just later realised it was a 5400 rpm drive. Thinking of getting an 1 TB nvme m. 2 ssd as was suggested. Coupled with a new case and a decent psu. About the New ryzen 3rd Gen processor, I've been reading that they are compatible with 2nd and 1rst gen mobos. Is this true? Can you suggest one? Thank you so much for the help

Yeah I remember getting slithly pissed with my hdd back when I built the pc, just later realised it was a 5400 rpm drive. Thinking of getting an 1 TB nvme m. 2 ssd as was suggested. Coupled with a new case and a decent psu. About the New ryzen 3rd Gen processor, I've been reading that they are compatible with 2nd and 1rst gen mobos. Is this true? Can you suggest one? Thank you so much for the help
They most likely will be - there was a scare a while back that they might not, but I think since then it has been cleared that they are still testing older boards to see if they will be compatible or not - some have been confirmed to be compatible, some are still being tested. This is why I said that wait for the launch issues to be cleared up, that way you can avoid these types of issues and get a stable system right from the get go. Don't buy a motherboard right now, maybe they'll release newer B-series boards for 3rd gen, perhaps with better support and newer features as well. Don't buy the motherboard and CPU right, if you want to do an immediate purchase just buy case PSU and SSD, even stick with your current RAM for now, who knows how memory compatibility will be with Ryzen 3rd gen.

If you're insisting on a motherboard, the MSI B450 Tomahawk is as good as any, a cheaper but still good board is the ASRock B450 Pro4, its micro-ATX counterpart is also good(B450M Pro4). If you want high-end then go with Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming. Bear in mind, though, that X470 has very few advantages over B450, so for most people B450 is the better choice because the X470 boards aren't value for money.

May 23, 2019

I'm thinking of ordering the SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply, Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory and the Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive.
I got two questions. What are your opinion on this components, are they good or bad. Secondly, can this psu be used on my current mobo? (msi b250m pro-vd) and transfere later to the New one with the ram and New ssd. Thank you so much for your insight, cheers

I'm thinking of ordering the SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply, Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory and the Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive.
I got two questions. What are your opinion on this components, are they good or bad. Secondly, can this psu be used on my current mobo? (msi b250m pro-vd) and transfere later to the New one with the ram and New ssd. Thank you so much for your insight, cheers
Good PSU, will be compatible with both current and new systems.

Ryzen 3000 will apparently not work with older motherboards, not all of them at least. The details are still a bit sketchy, but it's being said that 1st gen mobos will NOT be compatible, and second gen compatibility will also be doubtful. So, don't buy a motherboard right now.

The RAM you are buying is fine, Ryzen 3000 will probably have 3200 MHz native speed(so it should be supported fine). As for the SSD, I don't know much about those Intel drives, some of them were not very good but then later an updated model had been released which was apparently good, I don't know which is which. Either someone else can assist you in this or you can go with a different drive that is sure to be of good quality, like the Crucial MX500.

May 23, 2019

Ryzen 3000 will apparently not work with older motherboards, not all of them at least. The details are still a bit sketchy, but it's being said that 1st gen mobos will NOT be compatible, and second gen compatibility will also be doubtful. So, don't buy a motherboard right now.

The RAM you are buying is fine, Ryzen 3000 will probably have 3200 MHz native speed(so it should be supported fine). As for the SSD, I don't know much about those Intel drives, some of them were not very good but then later an updated model had been released which was apparently good, I don't know which is which. Either someone else can assist you in this or you can go with a different drive that is sure to be of good quality, like the Crucial MX500.

I was thinking of buying a new mobo when the 3000 ryzen gets released, (the New boards) or do you think it isnt worth it? Also should I just sell my old ram or save it and use the 4 sticks later on?

The Intel 660p is a good entry level NVMe drives. They are a QLC drive but will still average 2x speed up over the best SATA drives available, especially in desktop environments.

I was thinking of buying a new mobo when the 3000 ryzen gets released, (the New boards) or do you think it isnt worth it? Also should I just sell my old ram or save it and use the 4 sticks later on?
Yeah, you should buy the newer boards, that is the best way to get good compatibility. Ryzen 3000 is definitely worth it, the improvements are major enough to justify the upgrade from your current PC. I think selling your older RAM is better, since it is much slower speed and will slow down your faster modules as well(RAM runs at the lowest speed of all the modules installed).