Help on upgrade...

aTOMic_00

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
So I want to buy a new motherboard and more ram but I don't want to change my cpu.I'm searching for a LGA775 socket motherboard and 8Gb of ram(DDRIII).Also I don't want to spend more than 120€(170$).If you want to recommend me anything post it here please.

System Specs:
CPU:Q6600 2,4Ghz (Might OC it to 3Ghz)
GPU:GTX560Ti
RAM:2Gb DDRII
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-946GMX-S2
HDD:WD500Gb

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
LGA775 is dead technology. I can't consciously give you any recommendations for this if this isn't a spare PC that you are keeping for nestalgic reasons...

There is no reason to spend 120e on a board that has nowhere to go, when you can spend that much on a relatively top of the line 1155 board that will last you another 5 years plus.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah me too, a good LGA 775 socket based boards are hard to find and its not worth for investment. The best option is to sell your CPU and RAM and buy a new LGA1155 board and Core i series CPU

add more ram to what you already have. Investing in another mother board and different ram ( which isn't going to give you any benefit over DDR2 memory ) is just throwing money away. My main gaming machine still uses a quad 775 and 8gig of ram. I never updated that because it will still play everything well enough. The only weak point was the video card which i updated and plan on keeping the system for 2 more years. Then I will overhaul the whole thing....... more ram/more ram............

aTOMic_00

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
For me buying a new cpu,mobo and ram seems a bit expensive and I can't buy only new ram because my current mobo only supports up to 2GB so if I want to buy more ram I need to buy a new mobo too...Please tell me what is the best thing to do?

I would save my money until I could make a significant upgrade over what I have. That includes the processor/mobo/ram, etc. bummer the board only supports 2gig because that's the biggest stumbling block......... and I bet you get "stumbles".

if you can't hold out, and you should, look for what's avail in your area at the places you can purchase from. 1333 ram is fast enough. no need to look for 1600 and not sure if that processor even supports it.... board.fsb.controller.........

aTOMic_00

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

I currently have the money but I don't want to spend 350€(500$) to buy a new cpu/mobo/ram because I recently bought a new gpu and it was a bit expensive and I was hoping that I could find something not very expensive for my current rig but if I am able to buy a new cpu/mobo/ram what would you recommend me?