Help on vid out

answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I tried using my pc to watch a movie on my tv but even if the tv screen shows the desktop, the player does not show the movie even if it plays normally on the monitor 9 i connected my monitor and tv at the same time. Any suggestions? I am using an AMD 1700, ECS board 256 DDR and Geforce 4 MX.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Is the movie on a DVD? I know some DVD's have macrovision protection built-in such that video out will not function so as to prevent illegal copying.

You may try other movies on VCD's or hard disk to see if the video out works or not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Macrovision problem only occurs with certain non-compliant cards (a lot of nVidia cards), or with non-updated players on the latest cards.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know of any. You can go <A HREF="http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/nvidia/" target="_new">HERE</A> to find more information, basically there are at least two TV-Out chips that are not Macrovision compliant (ie, they won't output an encrypted signal), and are therefore blocked by the player software. This problem is almost exclusive to nVidia based cards, but only affects the ones that use the WRONG TV-Output chips.

As for the problem with some players when using late version ATI cards, they simply don't recognise them as being compliant because the hardware is newer than the player, and this can be fixed with an update to the player.

Anyway, the companies that make DVD player programs are all under agreement with Macrovision that their program will only work on components capable of carrying the Macrovision signal (a signal used to mess up VHS recording). So that if the TV-Out chip puts out a CLEAN signal instead...it can't be used!

Oh yes, the purpose of forcing your to use hardware that supports a corrupted signal is to prevent you from recording DVD to VHS, go figure!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>