Build Advice Help on what to upgrade next

ganimomu1

Honorable
May 30, 2016
Hello! I am planning to do a small upgrade on my rig on both GPU and CPU (and maybe something else on the line) to level them up a bit.
First, here's what I'm dealing with right now:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 with DeepCool Gammaxx L120
RAM: 2x8GB TeamGroup T-Force 3200MHz (DDR4 of course)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super SC Ultra Gaming
Mother: ASRock B450M Pro4
Drives: 1 M.2 NVMe PCI Gen3 drive, 1 M.2 SATA SSD and 2 hard drives, won't give details about them since I don't want to give them relevance here and I'm neither planing to change them,
PSU: Gigabyte P650B (650W).
1080p 144Hz display (Freesync capable)

The way I use my system is quite varied, I play games most of the time but also watch YouTube while doing so a lot. Not only that I tend to have an Android emulator on the background most of the time for ease of access to Android games and whatever I can do on them, so I kinda need to have something capable of multitasking honestly. Also I do stream/record from time to time and would like to edit video properly.
Just a bit more explanation about what games I play, mostly I play Rocket League, Sea of Thieves, CSGO, Genshin Impact and Cyberpunk, i do play more but might take wildy different for reference.

My question lies on what should I upgrade first between GPU or CPU since they are my main concern right now. Not only that, I would have this system for a long time before doing another upgrade most likely, hence the timing to go for something good on the AM4 platform (I was thinking on either a 5900X or a 5800X3D since in my country both processor are going for 640 USD) and on the GPU side I was thinking on waiting a bit for the 4000 launch and see wether I could get something along a 3060 Ti, 3070 or maybe even 4060 when it launches, but here in Uruguay it could be a bit pricy (3060 Ti for 850 USD, 3070 for 1000, who knows what the 4060 price will be here then and if I would also need a beefier PSU)

At the moment I'm pretty satisfied with what the GTX 1660 had offered me and I'm quite inclined to swap first my CPU and then later swap the GPU. I know AM4 has reached an end but I would opt to stay in AM4 and had that upgrade than building a whole AM5 platform and repeat the cycle with the low-mid tier option, though they aren't bad at all, it's just me not willing to do that yet.

By me asking here of course I'm open to opinions and ideas and maybe someone can change my mind, I would expect that. It's not like I would regret doing one over the other, is just what it could be better to have first, how I already said earlier, I'm expecting to be able to play Cyberpunk with Chrome open on YT and probably have LDPlayer in the background.

Just to add something, don't be scared with the prices stated before, and probably don't suggest about importing products since here in Uruguay it's pretty dificult to get things over USD 200, the 5900x on Amazon is about 368 USD at the day of this post, importing it would cost me 600 USD (40 USD lower than buying it here) but I can't pay it on installments and for the extra 40 bucks I would rather have a store to back me up here.
Also, sorry for it being too long, hope you can help me decide what to do.
Have a good day :)

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
At 1080p 144HZ gaming, your CPU is the primary driver for increased performance, assuming you are over the GPU bottleneck. That said, Cyberpunk is a bit of a GPU killer and doesn't always follow traditional logic @1080p, so you likely would need both a CPU and GPU upgrade there.

The 5800X3D is probably the best gaming CPU on the AM4 platform, so that's an easy recommendation, however you would still see a major upgrade if you went with a low end CPU like the 5600x, or midrange in the 5800x. Pretty much any of 5 series will work great for you.

I think one of the best GPU values now is the 6800xt, which in the US, I have seen as low $470, but we don't know exactly what 4xxx series holds, especially when it comes to price and performance.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel like CPUs in general are more future proof, because the future is increased resolution, and that will always be bound by the GPU. So my suggestion is for you to upgrade your CPU, see how you feel about performance, and then wait on GPU until you become unhappy with performance in the future. Other opinions may differ however.

Reactions: ganimomu1
I think I’d consider the cpu as your first upgrade. A quick bit of reading says folks with your cpu and say a 6700xt had some bottleneck with that combo so I think I’d do an upgrade to a 5600 or higher then you can upgrade gpu later. Personally I opted for a 5900x. But the 5800x3d is an easy recommendation as well. Truth be told the 5800x3d is probably faster for games but you’d like 12 cores for multitasking.

Last edited:
Reactions: ganimomu1