Help on which cord/s I need.. Should be an easy answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj nance

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I have a GeForce 8800 gtx and a corsair 520 watt psu.

My problem is that the gpu has two 6 pin PCI-E inputs and I'm not sure which cord exactly I should buy.

My psu has two open 6 pin pci-e slots but after looking for about 10 minutes I couldn't seem to fine one with a male adapter on each side (all I could seem to find were pci-e extension cables). This makes me a little hesitant because I could also go with my other option which would be buying a 24 pin atx to pci-e cable.

Option #1 - 6 pin PCI-e from psu to 6-pin pci-e to gpu (is this the better option? if so Could someone show me where I can get one?)

Option #2 - 24 pin atx from psu to (2)pci-e inputs on gpu.

Which should I go with? Does it even matter?

Thanks!

Solution
hmmmm..... how do you fell about splicing cables? i think thats what you're gonna have to do.

wait, does your psu have any spare MOLEX plugs, if it does, you can get a MOLEX to pci adapter :D

dj nance

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I'm not sure, I built this pc myself on a budget and this was given to my from a friend.

Here is a link to the exact psu - http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsis,i18n%3Dtrue&cp=6&gs_id=l&xhr=t&q=corsair+520hx&qe=Y29yc2Fp&qesig=3xBn8lr7irtJ4oSjB_dmeQ&pkc=AFgZ2tmhTJd9-W8lQ1kGqTC2oxWK6F7InqSpLkvRSQXD1Sxoy-m_4hGoQXEeM3W4bIW-surFh2pD14Zzm-PNNEyH-dbENLsqZQ&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&biw=1920&bih=955&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6794987413499212340&sa=X&ei=u6dqTuWbM6Lm0QHYsdnuBA&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQ8wIwAQ

The issue I'm having is that I need to buy the cords online, but I can't seem to find any pci-e cords with a male adapter on both sides, so I'm not sure if that's a bad way to hook it up.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
hmmmm..... how do you fell about splicing cables? i think thats what you're gonna have to do.

wait, does your psu have any spare MOLEX plugs, if it does, you can get a MOLEX to pci adapter :D

Solution

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
well, depends todays cards arent as power hungry as before. some cards today come with a single molex to pci-e 6 pin adapter.

you can try using an adapter that has 2 Molex to 1 pci-e 6pin. you can get one of those if you feel unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.