Question Help on which side to put the fan of my CPU cooler and other questions

May 10, 2021
Hey guys!

I recently bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition because my cooler box from intel started to fail.

However, when trying to mount it on the Gigabyte H81M-H motherboard, I noticed that its fan does not fit facing the memory slots (it does not go down completely), which forced me to mount it on the other side of the heatsink .

My case is a Bluecase Gamer BG-017, opened at the top with a filter and tempered glass on the side. My question is: Can the fact that I mounted it on the other side than the memory slots harm anything (cooling or even performance)?

The HWMonitor is registered temperatures between 44 ~ 53 ° C for my i7 4770 (before with the cooler box it was between 60 ~ 75 ° C).

My other question: because I installed the fan on the opposite side to what is indicated, can I use it without active RGB?

My motherboard doesn't support RGB for fans, and I don't intend to use the controller directly at the PSU. Does this affect anything or can RGB be optional?

Here are some illustrative images of my problem:

View: https://imgur.com/a/9TwA9Tk

Last edited:
you should have the fan(s) blowing towards an exhaust fan or at least towards a vent that will allow some of the air to pass outside of the case.

you do not want the heated air from the CPU cooler to keep recycling inside the case.
you want as much of it as possible to be exhausted to the outside.

you should add a rear exhaust fan to that case vent that is visible in the image.
and then have the cooler's fan blowing the heated air towards it.
Does this affect anything or can RGB be optional?
RGB is only the LED lights on the cooler and\or it's fan.
if you don't want them showing, than disable them via software control or just unplug them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satamba
May 10, 2021
you should have the fan(s) blowing towards an exhaust fan or at least towards a vent that will allow some of the air to pass outside of the case.

you do not want the heated air from the CPU cooler to keep recycling inside the case.
you want as much of it as possible to be exhausted to the outside.

you should add a rear exhaust fan to that case vent that is visible in the image.
and then have the cooler's fan blowing the heated air towards it.
RGB is only the LED lights on the cooler and\or it's fan.
if you don't want them showing, than disable them via software control or just unplug them.

Is this extra fan that I would have to add mandatory?

Because I have been monitoring the temperatures on HWMonitor and they seem to be very good, and as you may have noticed, my memory RAM has a heat sink, so theoretically any heat being thrown at it ends up cooling down, even more considering that my PC case it is open at the top and has a filter.

For reference, here are the measurements after I force the machine to run my heaviest games:

View: https://imgur.com/a/QDUVM4G