Question [HELP] Only two (of four) RAM slots working when installing a Xeon E5-2697v2 on a chinese x79 motherboard.

Feb 26, 2023
I am currently using a chinese x79 motherboard, with an E5-2620v2 CPU, and 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM. I purchased the whole as combo on Aliexpress after quite a decent amount of research.
Then I decided to upgrade to the best CPU suported by the x79 platform (to my knowledge). So I ordered an E5-2697v2, also on Aliexpress.

This is the motherboard:

4enpxt88u01a1.png

This is the CU that is causing the "problem":

G4ztu1U.png

Side note: I purchased on Aliexpress because I live in Argentina. We have a lot of control a limitations for importing tech, and there is no way to obtain any of this locally.

Relevant Details of my current system:
  • CPU: Xeon E5-2620 v2.
  • GPU: Sapphire PULSE | AMD RX6600 8GB.
  • RAM: Unknown brand 16GB 1066 MHz ECC DDR3 (4x4GB).
  • Motherboard: Atermiter/Essenc X79G v1.3.
  • BIOS revision: X79G00E - Aptio Setup Utility Version 2.15.1236.
So I removed the E5-2620v2 CPU, and installed the new one.
When I powered on the system to test it before putting stuff again into the case, It didn't boot. Not even error sounds from the motherboard speaker.
I remembered that a while ago, I had a similar issue after changing the PSU. Somehow the system wasn't booting, and it was solved just taking out the RAM sticks and putting them back on their place. Weird, but it worked.
So this time I thought this might be the same "issue", sort of speak. Removed the RAM sticks and put them back. But it didn't work. Still no post and no sound, nothing.
I started testing, and discovered that it boots only with one or two slots populated. If I populate the full four slots, it does not boot.

So, for the moment I went back to the E5-2620v2 CPU and all RAM slots work fine.

Do you guys have any idea what the issue could be?
A BIOS setting I might not be aware of?
An electrical problem? May the motherboard be so crappy it cannot deliver the power needed for the E5-2697v2, thus causing the RAM problem?

There is little to no information about these boards online.

I appreciate any hint.

Sounds like a bad CPU. These CPUs are too closely related for it to be anything other than the CPU itself if all of the memory works fine with the original CPU installed. There is likely either a problem with the CPU itself OR there is some kind of lack of capability on the motherboard for it's VRM configuration to support both the CPU and memory considering the drastic increase in core count between the two models. Unless you are REALLY in need of those additional cores because this is actually being used for server tasks that are mission critical, in which case there is absolutely no reason you should have gone with a POS chinese build board, you are probably just as well served by using the CPU that does work and sending the other back for refund if possible. If not possible, then you will probably want to considering trying to source a more appropriate quality motherboard through one of the more reputable board manufacturers but I have reservations about whether that would be worth your while or not unless you KNOW you absolutly need to have those extra cores because you are running a lot of highly parallel applications and serving enough clients to require it.

Reactions: Tac 25
Feb 26, 2023
There is likely either a problem with the CPU itself OR there is some kind of lack of capability on the motherboard for it's VRM configuration to support both the CPU and memory considering the drastic increase in core count between the two models.

First of all, thanks for a quick reply.
That said, I found a guy who posted on Reddit about a similar issue within a board from the same manufacturer (Atermiter, Essenc, Jingsha are different brands for same unknown (at least to me) manufacturer from China), but his board was a dual CPU one. So the issue can actually be a bad power delivery design of these boards.
Sadly, that guy has no intention on adreessing the issue.

Unless you are REALLY in need of those additional cores

Yes and no. I mean, REALLY REALLY, no. But I can really use those cores, when editing video. The more core count gets me a bit closer to the performance of a more current CPU, for a lot less of the price (remember, I live in Argentina, decent hardware here is not impossible to buy, but it is a lot more expensive cause of excesive taxation not on the porducts iselves but over the dollar exchange rate, inflation...very complex lol).
In short, I know the pros and cons in a high level. But there are quirks like these that clarley escape my knowledge.

there is absolutely no reason you should have gone with a POS chinese build board

About this: I installed macOS on it. What is known as "hackintosh" or the poor man's mac, lol. And these xeon platforms are known to be really good for that purpose. Which I can vouch for. They get you something comparable to a mac pro from 2013, and maybe better considering the more options for upgrade GPU.
Again, imagine that if common PC hardware is expensive around here, an actual mac pro is strictly prohibitive, unless you run a business that requires it, or you are rich.

I'm aware of the poor quality of that hardware. It's a risk I was ready to asume.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. As I saind on my first post, I really preciate any comments.

I'm familiar with your situation. I've been doing this for a very long time and I've helped hundreds of people from all over SA including Argentina. Doesn't matter. It's like saying there should be a gas station within walking distance ONLY because you are stuck 50 miles from the nearest town and need there to be one, or that GOD needs to make your car suddenly run on water because it's what you need. Doesn't matter. What you NEED if you WANT to do a certain thing (And let's face it, there is really rarely ANY NEED for ANY person to HAVE to have any of this stuff. It's a convenience, and that is all, unless it is your job, and if it is your job then it's up to you to make sure you have the REQUIRED tools to do that job even if it means you have to deal with bigger hassles and spend more money in order to get there. Otherwise, you find a different job because you don't have what you need to do the one you WANT to do.) is the right "stuff" and sometimes getting the right stuff means a big, giant hassle and spending more than you can afford. Sometimes that means you have to make choices you don't want to make.

That being said, I fully understand your position and I totally commiserate with you on it. Usually, in your region, the absolute hardest thing to find at anything like a decent price, or even an expensive one for that matter if you want something with at least moderate decent quality, is power supplies. Extremely hard to find a decent power supply anywhere in South America without ordering it from out of country (Expensive) or paying through the teeth for it to somebody who already ordered it from out of country (Even more expensive, because now YOU have to pay THEIR markup on it).

So, back to the subject of the board. Yes, power delivery. That IS what "VRM" means. It's the voltage regulation module that controls power delivery to the CPU and memory subsystems. If it's not up to the job, as with a CPU that has more than double the cores of the one that DOES work, then you have a problem. And since that's a very cheap ass Chinese built knockoff board, you can bet your bottom dollar that the build quality is garbage and that the VRM configuration is not only not good enough to support that higher core count CPU but is also 100% guaranteed composed of inferior mosfets and capacitors, unlike if you bought a board from an ACTUAL reputable manufacturer. Even a used X79 board from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, Supermicro or whoever might have been a better choice, although, those too are getting really long in the tooth and most of them are probably getting to the age where capacitors and other components are beginning to break down. I mean, X79 is a 12 year old platform. Most boards realistically are good for maybe 5-7 years if they are in continuous or frequent high level use, before they start developing age related problems.

So I think your problem really is highly likely power delivery and what you do is your business but it might be worth just holding onto that CPU and then looking around over time to see if you can find a better board, either on a new old stock deal from somewhere or on used one that didn't see too much use. Or simply sell it to somebody who already has a suitable board and consider just looking at other options.

Unfortunately, I think those are probably your only choices and I wish there was more to say but your geographics, the age of the hardware the plain fact that Chinese built hardware that is designed by Chinese companies, with the INTENT for it to be cheap (Because we know Chinese companies CAN build electronics or anything else, to any level they want to, IF they want to, they just DON'T want to, because they LIKE selling cheap crap to people who will buy it while building better crap for companies that are more willing to pay more FOR it) IS just going to be cheap, and you knew that going in.

Skylinestar

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2015
Hi Atana,

I have a similar X79 board with Xeon E5-2643 cpu. I bought them as a combo package with 2x 4GB 1600MHz ram. The system works perfectly fine. I then addon 2x 4GB ram to a total of 4x 4GB ram. It works fine for the first 6 months, then things go really weird. Sometimes, the pc cannot boot. Sometimes it can boot after a bios reset. Sometimes I get random WHEA error. Somestimes it works perfectly fine for another few months. To solve this issue, I take out 2x ram and just use the pc for stability. I have been using it like this for more than a year without issue.
A few days ago, I take out the 2x ram from my drawer and try my luck. I reduce the ram speed (of the existing 2x ram) from 1600MHz to 1333Mhz, shutdown the pc, install that extra 2x ram (making a total of 4x), bootup the pc. Surprisingly, the pc boots up fine. I run the usual OCCT benchmark (now version 11) and Cinebench R20. Everything looks good.
I will monitor the situation. Only time will tell.

The Xeon 2643 cpu is also a high TDP cpu at 130watt. I'm not sure if it is the main cause that stress the VRM. If I buy a Xeon v2 cpu with 80watt, will things be better?