wckd

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
well im trying to get a new operating system but theres two versions for Windows XP Proffessional, one says Windows XP Proffessional From Microsoft and its 299.99 and one says Windows XP Proffessional With SP2, Upgrade from Microsoft for 199.99. whats the difference between the two?!??! does the upgrade come with an activation code after installation?

:?: confused lol :?

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Upgrade version is for those who already have 98, ME, or 2000 Pro. If you're building a new machine and you have one of those OSs that you aren't using, take the upgrade version. It will ask for one of those disks when installing. The other version you mentioned does not require a previous version disk. You could purchase an OEM version of XP Pro for about $150, but it does have different licensing requirements than the retail version. You can check that out at MS website.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I believe the Update version will only install over Windows 98, the other is the full version. If you wanted to save some money and get the full version, get the OEM version. There are some differences between the licenses but I don't know what they are but the OEM version works fine on my machine

sturm

Splendid
xp pro upgrade will upgrade from 98, me, 2000 and xp home.

The bad thing about the upgrade is if you should lose the other os disk your screwed. That is unless you download or borrow someone elses disk. Which would be illegal so ignor my last sentence.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
xp pro upgrade will upgrade from 98, me, 2000 and xp home.

The bad thing about the upgrade is if you should lose the other os disk your screwed. That is unless you download or borrow someone elses disk. Which would be illegal so ignor my last sentence.

:D I had looked at the XP not XP Pro update, good to know Pro will update the others. For the reason you pointed out as well as the hassle of haveing to install 2 versons of the OS, I thinkk OEM is better than the update and the cost isn't usually that much different

sturm

Splendid
With the upgrade versions you dont have to install the previous os. During the install of the upgrade it will ask you for a previous os disk. You put the disk in and it scans it to verify. You then insert the xp upgrade disk and continue like normal.

TRENDING THREADS