Question Help or direction, feels like I've tried everything.

Pieceofcandy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti
Mobo: tuf b365m-plus gaming

Recently the past 6 months I've been having random frame drops in games and short freezes in general. At one point the computer would lock up, then the screen would go black, flash blue for a second then return to black and not respond till reboot. That hasn't happened in a while but still have been having random freezes/FPS drops in most games (League/Wow/Steam Games) FPS goes from steady 120 to about 40 and then returns to 120 locking it at lower amounts causes the same issue but the frames just drop lower. Seems to run fine outside of any gaming, just watching videos or browsing the web seems to have no issues. Things that I've tried so far are

• Updated/Reinstalled Drivers
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated CPU drivers
  • Reinstalled most games
  • Cleaned out SSD (50GB open from 14GB)
  • Changed Power Plan to Max Performance
  • Ran Memory Diag
Nothing has worked, no idea what could be causing it. Kind of unsure where to go from here. If anyone has an idea or a direction to point me in it would be greatly appreciated

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Are you seeing any error codes, warnings, or even informational events in the Reliability History and/or Event View logs?

Especially any entries that you can identify as occurring just before or at the time of a crash or freeze?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Watch for what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Observe first without gaming and then, while leaving the window open, observe while gaming,

Good chance that you will spot some change that in turn causes problems. For example, some app launching in the background, or some resource going higher and higher in % but does not drop if the app is closed out or otherwise stopped in some manner.

GPU sits around 46
CPU sits around 50 w/o anything running and moves and sits into high 50s/ low 60s when game is open.
What model cpu cooler is that? Looks like simple aluminum block with fan slapped onto it.
Definitely not adequate for i7-9700F.

Get an appropriate cooler for your i7. Bequiet dark rock 4, Cryorig H5 or similar.
But that may not solve all your pc performance issues.

What model PSU are you using? Can you show photo of info label printed on PSU?

Pieceofcandy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
What model cpu cooler is that? Looks like simple aluminum block with fan slapped onto it.
Definitely not adequate for i7-9700F.

Get an appropriate cooler for your i7. Bequiet dark rock 4, Cryorig H5 or similar.
But that may not solve all your pc performance issues.

What model PSU are you using? Can you show photo of info label printed on PSU?

Thanks! I think this might be the problem, I was not too sure since this was a prebuild that I got from a friend but I found the sales page on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V34QQ3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) and lots of the reviews say the cooling and power can be a problem.

I'll try replacing the CPU cooler and after if still having issues the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS