[SOLVED] Help! Order motherboard on Amazon warehouse and it came with a discolored pin

ShowbizAtol933

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Hi everyone,
I ordered a used Gigabyte x299x master on Amazon wear house and it just arrived today. While giving it a visual inspection all the accessories were there and the motherboard looked like it’s in pristine condition. There’s even plastic wrap on it still in parts. Looking at the socket closely I noticed that one of the pins in the socket looked burned. It’s a rainbow color and the tip of It appears to be missing, or at least some of it. It doesn’t look like it will make proper contact anymore. I’m worried about placing any CPU into the board to see if it works as I’m afraid it’s some internal short somewhere in the motherboard and I don’t want to kill my 7960x. What do y’all think? I’ll post a url with a pic in a sec.

Solution
Id return that.

The other way to look at it:
Amazon warehouse deals are returned products, why would someone return a motherboard with most the packaging still intact? Because it was damaged when they tried to use it the first time and it didnt work.

ShowbizAtol933

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
You are covered by a 30 day return policy, send the board back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000656811

Amazon claims its used products are in working order, that board is damaged and unusable if a pin is broken/damaged.
I would guess their typical inspection procedure does not call for such close inspection to notice the damage.
Yeah that’s probably what I’ll just do I don’t wanna risk the CPU. Somebody at some point returned the Mobo so I’m wondering if it killed something or was causing issues and that’s why the PO returned it....ugh.

Id return that.

Amazon warehouse deals are returned products, why would someone return a motherboard with most the packaging still intact? Because it was damaged when they tried to use it the first time and it didnt work.

Solution

ShowbizAtol933

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Id return that.

That’s a very very good point. Everything is perfect, no accessories were even taken out of the plastic wrap....yeah there’s obviously something wrong it and it was mostly likely a DOA board. If the pin looks like that id be afraid to see the CPU side...Looks I’m returning it, atleast Amazon is good with accepting returns. I’ve heard of to many reports of faulty Mobos taking out CPUs. Thanks everyone!