Question Help overclocking a ASUS ROG Laptop GL703GS I7 8750H

bcrr25

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi,
where I can find a step-by-step guide on how to overclock an I7 8750H on a ASUS ROG Laptop. Thank you. I don't know where to begin.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't begin. OC doesn't give that much gain over stock boost settings and being a laptop, heat output under loads is far more important a consideration than a few extra fps. Even gaming at stock settings can see temps in access of 90°C quite easily. OC just puts you in cpu throttling ranges that much of sooner, and is seriously unhealthy for the battery in extended usage.

bcrr25

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thank you for the tip. But I'm not a gamer, I bought this laptop because I work with 3D, and need overclocking to boost some renders from time to time, I won't use overclocking for hours of gaming. I want to speed up my 3D renders, always plugged on the outlet, so I believe it won't have a negative effect on my battery right? I use GPU rendering with software like redshift and octane, so I would like to overclock my GPU as well if possible, my Asus rog comes with a GTX 1070 8Gb. Thanks.

ChrisGR93_TxS

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
Anyone ? Help please
Use msi afterburner for your gpu. But still laptops have specific power designs. Lots of laptops facing lack of power and crashing a lot over load. Users even downclock some of those to keep it stable. But maybe you're lucky enough to get it at some point. "Not huge numbers tho" For rendering as it is also for gaming i would recommend to push your vram. Sometimes downclocking gpu and "giving it" to vram increases performance. You have to test it by your self. Starting with +100mhz on vram and see how it handles. When you see unusual effects (green and red spots) means that you've reached the limits. Then you drop it 10s or 20s to be sure for further usage. (If doesn't work and turns black screen or crashes Nvidia driver even with only +100mhz I'm sorry there's no further instructions for overclocking) :/

TRENDING THREADS