Help Overclocking Fx-6350

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
So I am currently overclocking my Amd Fx-6350 with a corsair h60 AIO running prime 95 for 15 minutes now no freezing at a 47C. That number seems a little bit low, but thats what Hwmonitor is reading.

I have it set to 4.5ghz at 1.425 volts is that to much or not enough. What do you guys think?

Solution

First...the H60 is not a good AiO for overclocking. Believe it or not, the well known Hyper 212 EVO budget cooler is better. So watch your thermals and be prepared to look at better cooling if you want 4.7-4.8 GHz.

Second, Just throwing random voltages and setting a multiplier won't get you your best OC with the lowest temperatures. You need to take the time to tune and test properly.

Other considerations:

What motherboard are you...

First...the H60 is not a good AiO for overclocking. Believe it or not, the well known Hyper 212 EVO budget cooler is better. So watch your thermals and be prepared to look at better cooling if you want 4.7-4.8 GHz.

Second, Just throwing random voltages and setting a multiplier won't get you your best OC with the lowest temperatures. You need to take the time to tune and test properly.

Other considerations:

What motherboard are you on? A good VRM and VRM/chipset cooling is important.
What RAM? Doing FSB overclocks sometimes requires you step down RAM speed a little and having faster or more stable OC RAM can help.
What PSU? Clean, stable power is a must.

And...have you read these?:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming (* STILL applies to Piledriver)
http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

I recommend a mix of FSB + Multiplier overclocking. This will yield the best overall system performance.

For 4.5GHz on my FX 6350 I only needed like 1.3625v core. I've had that same FX 6350 to 4.950 GHz stable with a Corsair H110 cooler. 4.8375 GHz was my sweet spot for 24x7 operation and was easy to do. And I did not need a lot of voltage to do it. Getting past 4.9GHz took a lot of voltage and produced a lot of heat. But you will only find your chip's sweet spot through proper tuning.

And for example, right now my FX 9590 is at 4.9 GHz on all 8 cores at just 1.4125v core. So it is worth it to tune and find the voltage limits for your CPU and get to that efficiency sweet spot.

Solution
The result of overclocking a FX cpu depends on a few factors.

First of all how good your motherboard is, the chipset used.
And the overclocking features of the motherboard and bios settings.
The ability of the amount of voltages you can change from the cpu core to the ram, and the chip set.

Second is as stated how good your cooling is for the cpu.

And third of all is the quality or production of the silicone used to make the FX 6350 cpu you have.
That is something you cannot control sadly, and why we call it by nick name the silicone lottery.

And why not all FX based cpu`s even of the same model number either overclock better or worse in set cases of overclocking.

On average with most FX based cpu. 800Mhz over the stock cpu frequency setting is a good result.
Anything above is mostly down to how good the formed silicone die is free of slight defects.

As an example I have a FX 4350 quad core, and on water cooling.
I can reach 4.9 Ghz stable under heavy load.

While the other system with exactly the same specs with another FX 4350.
Won`t even reach 4.6Ghz no matter what I do.

You just have to find a medium with each cpu you run or try to overclock.
And except that that is the maximum it can overclock in frequency.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015

Thank you for your quick and thorough response, Im use a gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R4 MB, With 16gb of g.skill 1600mhz ram, paired with a corsair cx-600 watt PSU

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015

thank you for your quick response, as I said in my recent comment, Im use a gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R4 MB, With 16gb of g.skill 1600mhz ram, paired with a corsair cx-600 watt PSU.

I am currenlty running a 4.5ghz OC wirh 1.42 V

TRENDING THREADS