Help Overclocking Locked Phenom II X4 945

Tubben

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Hello, I'm looking for any help or recommendations or help as how to overclock my Phenom ii x4 945. I will be getting an upgrade soon but in the mean time this cpu has been struggling a bit, so I would like to squeeze out any extra performance I can get from it. I have attempted to overclock this cpu for awhile now but have faced many blue screens and instability issues. It will work perfectly fine for a week or so and then will start to give me problems again. The blue screen errors I receive include "memory management", "bad pool header", "system service exception not handled", and "page fault in nonpaged area". Typically the system will last 15-30 minutes in Prime95. Blue screens go away when I reset my bios to defaults. With my most recent attempt I had the following configuration in my bios:

FSB - 240
NB - x9 (2160)
HT Link - x8 (1920)
Ram frequency - x5.33 (also tried auto and 6.66)
CPU Voltage - 1.455
NB Voltage - 1.3

I also tried to set my ram timings manually to match the timings listed in cpuz but had no luck.

CPUZ ram timings at stock:

1T

I've tried many different options and combinations in the bios but nothing has worked. My guess would be something incorrect with the way I am configuring my ram. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
When you OC over FSB, other frequencies also go up, memory and PCIe + accompanying buses. Memory frequency may go up from declared and not be able to OC that much or even at all. Fix is only to lower RAM multiplier.
PCI/PCIe base frequency of 100MHz would also go higher and cause problems with connected devices, Fix is to sat it manually to 100MHZ.
If the processor was Black Edition, it would be easier to just modify it's multiplier and raise CPU voltage. Would not have to bother with other components OC.
When you OC over FSB, other frequencies also go up, memory and PCIe + accompanying buses. Memory frequency may go up from declared and not be able to OC that much or even at all. Fix is only to lower RAM multiplier.
PCI/PCIe base frequency of 100MHz would also go higher and cause problems with connected devices, Fix is to sat it manually to 100MHZ.
If the processor was Black Edition, it would be easier to just modify it's multiplier and raise CPU voltage. Would not have to bother with other components OC.

Solution

Tubben

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

gothcya. Thanks for the reply. It would probably be best to not overclock in that case, but how would I go about manually change the frequency of the PCIe and PCI slots?

Tubben

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Alright thanks, got it