Question Help: Overclocking Q6600 on Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6

Aug 5, 2019
Hi,
I am new to overclocking, never needed it up until now. My main system died and I had to go back to my old one. The specs:

Power Supply: Tacens 80 Plus Bronze 650W
Board: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Rev. 1
CPU: Intel 2Duo Quad Q6600 G0 stepping B
Memory: 8GB DDR2 (4x2GB), clocking at 800MHz
OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 @ Toshiba OCZ SSD 240GB (Through PCI-e x1 Sata3 controller)
Cooling: 2x 120mm Noctua Fans, custom machined aluminum CPU heatsink, HP server fan 5000RPM for Northbridge, Southbridge and VRM
Storage: 4x 1TB WD Black HDD in RAID 1, 4x 120GB Kingston A400 SSD.

I changed these parameters:

C1E: Enabled >> Disabled
CPU Clock Ratio: 6X >> 9X (before this change, it wouldnt get past 1.58GHz)
CPU Freq. claims 3.00GHz
CPU Host Freq. Control: Enabled >> Disabled
System Mem. Multiplier: Auto >> 2.00B
CPU Host Freq.: 266 > 333
CPU VCore: 1.3500 >> 1.3750
FSB: Normal >> +0.05V

However, after rebooting and opening CPU-Z. it indicates that I am still running at 266MHz instead of 333, and the CPU clock speed just won't get past 2.400.00 MHz as if it was locked, even though I raised the voltage.
The FSB is running at 1066 according to CPU-Z. The system is stable, but of course, it looks like no changes have been made.
What's weird, though, is that the BIOS part now goes hauling ass (before it was slow). Maybe it's Windows ignoring the Bios? I'm missing something important here because I've seen people claiming 3.6GHz in a really similar voltage/frequency settings.

If anyone knows how to really get the juice out of this system it would be highly appreciated. I know it is a 15 year old system but in the meantime... And CPUs for this system cost 5$, not worried about frying them. Just need it to run Premiere Pro, which it does and renders at 8K, but it lags a lot when switching tabs. Or just take ages to get to the desktop.

Thank you very much in advance

Aug 5, 2019
Nevermind this post.

The solution for me was to load the default settings in the bios, save it and reboot, enter in the bios and set all the config to the exact same settings I had and save it again. Some kind of bug maybe regarding the "Dual Bios", because I already did this before and it did not work.

It is now sitting at 3.00GHz as expected with just +0.105V on Vcore, and 333MHz and FSB to 1333MHz. Temps are just 3-4º higher on average (45 idle, 59 full load). Now will try and test if I can get it over 3.00.

Hopefully this will help somebody else experiencing this same exact issue.

Edit: Thread can be marked as solved. Don't see an option to do it myself.

Last edited: