[SOLVED] Help overclocking RX5700 using 5700XT bios as some games crashing

Feb 19, 2020
I have changed the bios of my MSI reference RX5700 to a RX 5700XT MSI reference. All was well at 2000mhz until I noticed the benchmark in far cry new dawn would crash the computer to the point I would have to turn off the PSU before the PC would restart. The same issue happened once in final fantasy 15 but haven't had the issue in any other games. Any suggestions? I have lowered the core clock to 1950. I have slightly increased the voltage. And increased the fan curve so the junction temp never reaches above 90. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to OC'ing.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
RX 5700
16gb hyperx 2666mhz ram
256gb SSD
Windows 10 pro.

Solution
Yeah I'd go back to the original BIOS, flashing is okayish at best. But there's no guarantee you'll get a stable overclocking experience.

First, max out the card and MASTER overclocking the card on ORIGINAL BIOS. If you're new to overclocking, you really shouldn't even be touching bios flashing right now.

Then once you understand how the silicon behaves you CAN try going back to a 5700XT BIOS. (Though I wouldn't recommend it.)

Problem with 5700 XT flashing, is i'm not sure the vram can handle it. And there's probably a couple other parameters that the 5700 can't handle. Just depends. Best thing to do on the 5700 XT BIOS is to underclock vram and GPU core until you're stable so you can get a baseline. (But again, i'd recommend not...
My suggestion would be to go back to the 5700 (non-XT) BIOS. These cards are already flaky as it is, you're playing with fire.

Are you manually adjusting the voltages the card applies at each frequency state (Ctrl+F in Afterburner, or Manual Voltage in WattMan) or are you just pushing up Frequency and Power Limit %?

What led you to think you needed to install a different BIOS to achieve your goal?

Feb 19, 2020
My suggestion would be to go back to the 5700 (non-XT) BIOS. These cards are already flaky as it is, you're playing with fire.

Are you manually adjusting the voltages the card applies at each frequency state (Ctrl+F in Afterburner, or Manual Voltage in WattMan) or are you just pushing up Frequency and Power Limit %?

What led you to think you needed to install a different BIOS to achieve your goal?
I changed the bios to bypass the artificial limit set by AMD. I changed the bios using atiflash, had the same issue so I reverted back and changed the power limit using MorePowerTool. which as far as I can see has only done away with the limits as everything including GPU-Z and Waterman still recognise the card as a RX5700 and not a RX 5700xt

Yeah I'd go back to the original BIOS, flashing is okayish at best. But there's no guarantee you'll get a stable overclocking experience.

First, max out the card and MASTER overclocking the card on ORIGINAL BIOS. If you're new to overclocking, you really shouldn't even be touching bios flashing right now.

Then once you understand how the silicon behaves you CAN try going back to a 5700XT BIOS. (Though I wouldn't recommend it.)

Problem with 5700 XT flashing, is i'm not sure the vram can handle it. And there's probably a couple other parameters that the 5700 can't handle. Just depends. Best thing to do on the 5700 XT BIOS is to underclock vram and GPU core until you're stable so you can get a baseline. (But again, i'd recommend not doing this until you master overclocking on the original BIOS if you must use a 5700XT BIOS)

Solution