Help Overcocking AMD FX-8350 on Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Like the title says I need help overclocking my AMD FX-8350 on an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3. I'm completely new to overclocking and after trying to look up help and guides for my motherboard I ran into a few problems. Most guides Either tell me to change settings that are under different names in my BIOS or I don't have the settings at all. After spending a couple of hours trying to figure out what the guides wanted me to do.... I couldn't. So I was hoping someone could help provide me with a more specific guide for how to overclock on this motherboard.

In case it's relevant the rest of my specs are
16GB ram
Nvidia 1070 8GB
750W power supply
and my CPU fan is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186092
I also have 5 case fans.

Solution
Hi dormdude :)

The Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 is not really meant for Overclocking due to low phase VRMs and a rather high TDP (125W) draw from the FX-8350. This is reflected in Bios and a lack of Overclocking settings.

If you decide to Overclock the CPU then problems with stability and heat will ensue. Decent liquid cooling for the CPU and extra case cooling fans to cool the VRMs may get a small Overclock.
Your cooler really is not up to the task of OCing, and your motherboard certainly is not either.
No VRM heatsinks, on a 4+1 power phase design, and a single 4 pin EPS connection mean that board can barely handle the 8350 stock.

You really only want to be OCing an FX series processor on a 970/990 series board.

Given the rest of your specs, I would recommend a switch to a modern platform (CPU+MOBO+RAM)

Hi dormdude :)

The Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 is not really meant for Overclocking due to low phase VRMs and a rather high TDP (125W) draw from the FX-8350. This is reflected in Bios and a lack of Overclocking settings.

If you decide to Overclock the CPU then problems with stability and heat will ensue. Decent liquid cooling for the CPU and extra case cooling fans to cool the VRMs may get a small Overclock.

Solution