Question Help ! Paying for 500 down but only getting half the speed when plugged into router

Jul 18, 2019
Hello, new to the forums. Anyways, we have a typical modem to router setup with spectrum. The router we use is an ASUS RT-88U and we can't for the life of us figure out why our speeds are only reaching half. We were able to get full speeds when we were paying for 100 and again with 200, but when we bumped it up to 500 down- we no longer are getting the full amount...typically its around 215...This is with cat 7 cables (possibly Cat 8), and plugged directly into the router.

Also should note that we have a backup router. its a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 in case the other won't do the trick ...And all of the PC's connected to it are all higher-end and allow for gig speeds.

Spectrum insists that that is just the way it is...which I think is BS.

Oh, and also, when connected directly to the modem, the speeds are 500+

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So if you get full speed via the modem but not the router, what's the data transfer speeds between computers over lan?

Fyi Cat 7 or 8 is overkill for gigabit, they're meant for 10gbe. For gigabit (115MB/s~125MB/s) 5e is fine.

Reset the router to factory and only configure things like wifi passwords and admin passwords.

This router like many uses a hardware assist that lets the NAT function bypass the main cpu. Many even fairly simple feature like traffic monitor disable this and force the traffic via the cpu. It is not uncommon to get less than 300mbps on a router using the cpu to do NAT.

You can also try the merlin firmware it tends to have run faster but asus has been moving features from merlin into the factory base. Merlin firmware is not official but asus works closely with the guy the developed it.

Jul 18, 2019
Reset the router to factory and only configure things like wifi passwords and admin passwords.

This router like many uses a hardware assist that lets the NAT function bypass the main cpu. Many even fairly simple feature like traffic monitor disable this and force the traffic via the cpu. It is not uncommon to get less than 300mbps on a router using the cpu to do NAT.

You can also try the merlin firmware it tends to have run faster but asus has been moving features from merlin into the factory base. Merlin firmware is not official but asus works closely with the guy the developed it.

Sorry, I fixed the issue a few days ago...I should have made mention.

And this is exactly what I wound up doing btw.

TRENDING THREADS