[SOLVED] Help: PC build for mainly music production, but also gaming.

May 23, 2020
Hello there!

I plan to build a new pc for mostly music production, but also for some gaming. (Budget pc) I have done some research and decided to pick the following parts for my pc:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gtx 1660 super Ventus xs oc
Mobo: Asus rog-strix b450-f
PSU: Corsair CV650 80+ bronze
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16gb (2*8gb)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb m.2 2280
Case: Corsair Icue 220T RGB TG

I wonder if these parts are compatible with each other, and if the choice of parts are the best ones for both music production and gaming within the price I ended up with. (Under 1000$)

I would like the build to be an ATX-build, with a nice looking case (tempered glass)

Is there anything wrong with the build? Should I replace some parts with other parts? Are there any cheaper alternatives of parts that will give me the same performance as I get with the parts I have selected right now?

I appreciate all the help I can get. (I live in Sweden btw)(EU)

Solution
Thank you.
I think I am going to wait for the b550 mobos to come out and buy one of them so I can upgrade things such as the CPU in the future.

I also think I am going to buy the Corsair TX650M or the RM650 instead of the CV650.

The PSU choices are Excellent.

Can't say anything about the B550 boards, because they're not available in many regions as of now and thus, the reviews are not available. Everyone knew which Manufacturer to suggest in case of B450/X470/X570, because these were tested and reviewed. But no such data is available for the B550 at present apart from the features. So, if you're going for the B550, then I would suggest you to wait for the reviews to come out. MSI was the most suggested brand in the B450...

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Those are some nice components that you've listed.

If you're going for the B450 range of motherboards, then the Highly recommended one is the Tomahawk Max like kwikgta said. I wanted to buy the Tomahawk too, but because I got to know that MSI RMA experience has not been good for people in my country, I ended up buying the ASRock B450 Steel Legend.

Also, for the PSU, look for the Corsair CX series, which people have said is better than the CV series. Also, the CX series have 5 years' warranty compared to 3 years' on the CV series.

Gold series PSUs are way better in terms of performance and warranty, but if you have already decided on the Budget for the PSU, then you can consider the CX series. It's also 80+ Bronze rated

Reactions: Tintinsv
May 23, 2020
Those are some nice components that you've listed.

If you're going for the B450 range of motherboards, then the Highly recommended one is the Tomahawk Max like kwikgta said. I wanted to buy the Tomahawk too, but because I got to know that MSI RMA experience has not been good for people in my country, I ended up buying the ASRock B450 Steel Legend.

Also, for the PSU, look for the Corsair CX series, which people have said is better than the CV series. Also, the CX series have 5 years' warranty compared to 3 years' on the CV series.

Gold series PSUs are way better in terms of performance and warranty, but if you have already decided on the Budget for the PSU, then you can consider the CX series. It's also 80+ Bronze rated
Thank you.
I think I am going to wait for the b550 mobos to come out and buy one of them so I can upgrade things such as the CPU in the future.

I also think I am going to buy the Corsair TX650M or the RM650 instead of the CV650.

However, I have a question that I’m stuck with: Some people say that the Samsung 970 EVO is overpriced. Do you know if there is a 500gb M.2 SSD that perform the same as the 970 EVO, but is much cheaper?
I don’t know much about ssd’s, and would appreciate suggestions for a cheaper SSD that perform just as good as the 970 EVO.

Do you think 3200mhz is good, or should I get 3600mhz instead?😁

Reactions: akaikisaki

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Thank you.

Can't say anything about the B550 boards, because they're not available in many regions as of now and thus, the reviews are not available. Everyone knew which Manufacturer to suggest in case of B450/X470/X570, because these were tested and reviewed. But no such data is available for the B550 at present apart from the features. So, if you're going for the B550, then I would suggest you to wait for the reviews to come out. MSI was the most suggested brand in the B450 lineup, however, with B550, things may change and some other manufacturer might rise above.

Some people say that the Samsung 970 EVO is overpriced. Do you know if there is a 500gb M.2 SSD that perform the same as the 970 EVO, but is much cheaper?

From all the posts and Videos I've come across, almost all the users, be it forums, Youtube Reviewers, prefer the Samsung SSDs. Yes, they're costly compared to other brands but still the most recommended by people because they perform the best.

I didn't know anything about SSDs either till November 2019. The most recommended brands are Samsung and Crucial. You can look for the Crucial SSDs as well and compare it with the Samsung SSD by searching for the comparison in Google, Youtube to see how the applications which you're going to be using are performing in both the SSDs.

As for me, I wanted to settle for a cheaper one. So I bought a Kingston SSDNow 240 GB. Before buying it, I watched a few Youtube videos where users have shown the comparison between the Kingston and the Samsung, and it was clear that Samsung was the undisputed winner. But then, it all depends upon the individual preference as well. It was clear from the reviews that Samsung SSD was better, but the Kingston was fast and good enough for my purpose. I bought the Kingston and I'm happy ever since. The application which used to take 18 seconds to open in my HDD, was being opened in 5 seconds in the SSD. :LOL:

Do you think 3200mhz is good, or should I get 3600mhz instead?😁

I think the difference in performance won't be much noticeable b/w 3200 and 3600 mhz. However, the difference in prices were quite less before the Pandemic Lockdown.So minute that the people who were planning to buy the 3200mhz rams ended up going for the 3600mhz instead. But there has been an increase in the prices of Computer peripherals and I have no idea about the price difference now.

Also, from the way you moved from the Corsair CV series to the Corsair TX/ RM, it would seem that you're quite flexible with the budget. Look for the 3600 Rams and check the price difference. If it's negligible, then definitely go with the 3600mhz, otherwise, 3200mhz are fine too. Overclocking is always an option available in the future if you want to achieve that extra 400Mhz speed.

Last edited:
Solution
May 23, 2020

Can't say anything about the B550 boards, because they're not available in many regions as of now and thus, the reviews are not available. Everyone knew which Manufacturer to suggest in case of B450/X470/X570, because these were tested and reviewed. But no such data is available for the B550 at present apart from the features. So, if you're going for the B550, then I would suggest you to wait for the reviews to come out. MSI was the most suggested brand in the B450 lineup, however, with B550, things may change and some other manufacturer might rise above.

From all the posts and Videos I've come across, almost all the users, be it forums, Youtube Reviewers, prefer the Samsung SSDs. Yes, they're costly compared to other brands but still the most recommended by people because they perform the best.

I didn't know anything about SSDs either till November 2019. The most recommended brands are Samsung and Crucial. You can look for the Crucial SSDs as well and compare it with the Samsung SSD by searching for the comparison in Google, Youtube to see how the applications which you're going to be using are performing in both the SSDs.

As for me, I wanted to settle for a cheaper one. So I bought a Kingston SSDNow 240 GB. Before buying it, I watched a few Youtube videos where users have shown the comparison between the Kingston and the Samsung, and it was clear that Samsung was the undisputed winner. But then, it all depends upon the individual preference as well. It was clear from the reviews that Samsung SSD was better, but the Kingston was fast and good enough for my purpose. I bought the Kingston and I'm happy ever since. The application which used to take 18 seconds to open in my HDD, was being opened in 5 seconds in the SSD. :LOL:

I think the difference in performance won't be much noticeable b/w 3200 and 3600 mhz. However, the difference in prices were quite less before the Pandemic Lockdown.So minute that the people who were planning to buy the 3200mhz rams ended up going for the 3600mhz instead. But there has been an increase in the prices of Computer peripherals and I have no idea about the price difference now.

Also, from the way you moved from the Corsair CV series to the Corsair TX/ RM, it would seem that you're quite flexible with the budget. Look for the 3600 Rams and check the price difference. If it's negligible, then definitely go with the 3600mhz, otherwise, 3200mhz are fine too. Overclocking is always an option available in the future if you want to achieve that extra 400Mhz speed.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the help!

I'm 16 years old and have a buget of maximum 1000$.

Anyways, I will look into everything you mention. I will check and compare the prices so I don't get over my budget. ;)