[SOLVED] *HELP* PC fans acting strange AND video stuttering

Sep 5, 2019
So as you can see in the title I have two problems.

The first one isn't too big of an issue just annoying. Starting yesterday all of my fans (Corsair LL120 x3) started flickering with random colors - as you can see this one fan does in the video (
View: https://youtu.be/MCl92nVLGSE
) - but I opened my pc, rearranged some cables and played with the Corsair RGB light hub and managed to get 2 fans to work properly but the other one still does not.

The other issue is more serious. My main gaming monitor (Asus VG248) has been fine for the past year until now where even at 144hz (with all my graphics on low) I feel slight studders, possibly repeated frames, whenever I move around and interact with games. This is on every game, GTA, R6, Minecraft, etc. I also am able to hit well above 144 frames whenever I play these games.

If any more details are needed I will supply what I can.

Thanks for reading!

Solution
I'd do a clean reinstall of the software, not an over-install. Express or over-installs look for version numbers, and if they match it skips them and only writes any new stuff. That's what makes it fast. A clean install writes over any and all files/registry entries or deletes and reinstall all files. That way there's no conflicts if a file has wrong directions inside it.

Most likely that will include relevant motherboard chipset drivers, rgb/argb drivers possibly too.

Sometimes windows updates can take a while to fully intigrate/install, since they only will install during any idle time, after a specified time at idle has occurred. Really a pain in the....

I'd also test each fan individually, no hub or splitters. If each fan works...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd do a clean reinstall of the software, not an over-install. Express or over-installs look for version numbers, and if they match it skips them and only writes any new stuff. That's what makes it fast. A clean install writes over any and all files/registry entries or deletes and reinstall all files. That way there's no conflicts if a file has wrong directions inside it.

Most likely that will include relevant motherboard chipset drivers, rgb/argb drivers possibly too.

Sometimes windows updates can take a while to fully intigrate/install, since they only will install during any idle time, after a specified time at idle has occurred. Really a pain in the....

I'd also test each fan individually, no hub or splitters. If each fan works individually as it should, and software is now good, that leaves the hub/splitter as the point of probable failure.

Solution
Sep 5, 2019

I'd also test each fan individually, no hub or splitters. If each fan works individually as it should, and software is now good, that leaves the hub/splitter as the point of probable failure.
Thanks! How would I do a "clean" install of windows? I mean completely wiped my hard drive and reinstalled it using the USB tool on their website. Is that what you are talking about or something more in-depth? Also, I tested each fan when plugged into the hub, it seems as if the hub or at least the ports of the hub are the problem. I expect the fans' ports are all connected because when I put the glitched fan in port 1 it affected the other two but when I put it in port 3 none of the others are broken. So I am not sure.
Thank you so much for the info!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the hub has gone bunk if individual fans work without it.

A hub is all connected internally. There's 1 signal feed in that gets split by a controller chip that sends the addressing to the fans. If anything on that pcb gets funky, it will affect total outputs or individual outputs, or even just certain colors or affects.

Sep 5, 2019
Sounds like the hub has gone bunk if individual fans work without it.

A hub is all connected internally. There's 1 signal feed in that gets split by a controller chip that sends the addressing to the fans. If anything on that pcb gets funky, it will affect total outputs or individual outputs, or even just certain colors or affects.
Cool! Not really...but thanks for the answer... I will invest in one soon but right now the real issue is the lag...I can't really play my favorite games with it happening. I am too used to the smoothness of 144hz xD If you could show me or link me to your potential solution (like the one you mentioned above) that would be so helpful :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You reinstalled windows clean. That's a start, but not the finish. You should also go to the mobo website and get all of the motherboard chipset drivers, audio, Lan, USB, Intel management engine etc. Windows uses generic versions, good enough to work, but they aren't fine tuned. Kinda like you can run the pc if the nvidia drivers aren't installed, but if you want the 'good' picture, you need the specific nvidia drivers for the gpu. Motherboard is the same. You wiped out every existing motherboard driver with the windows reset.

Reactions: TheRealDucko
Sep 5, 2019
You reinstalled windows clean. That's a start, but not the finish. You should also go to the mobo website and get all of the motherboard chipset drivers, audio, Lan, USB, Intel management engine etc. Windows uses generic versions, good enough to work, but they aren't fine tuned. Kinda like you can run the pc if the nvidia drivers aren't installed, but if you want the 'good' picture, you need the specific nvidia drivers for the gpu. Motherboard is the same. You wiped out every existing motherboard driver with the windows reset.
Awesome! so would booting the windows setup from a usb drive and going in and deleting the stuff on the hard drives from that setup be the way to "clean" install or is there a MORE "clean" way to do it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug every drive except the C: OS drive. Plug in the USB, boot (make sure bios boot order is usb first) and at the ready to install screen, select what to keep 'Nothing'. Finish install as usual. Then install mobo chipset drivers, nvidia drivers etc.

Sep 5, 2019
Unplug every drive except the C: OS drive. Plug in the USB, boot (make sure bios boot order is usb first) and at the ready to install screen, select what to keep 'Nothing'. Finish install as usual. Then install mobo chipset drivers, nvidia drivers etc.
Alright thanks man. I will try it and let you know how it goes!

Sep 5, 2019
So far it seems like the reset and the driver installations for Nvidia, and the motherboard worked. My games seem to be as smooth as before! I will let you know if anything "hiccups" in the future! But for now, I am not gonna change anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it.