[SOLVED] HELP! PC flashing when powered up

Jan 4, 2020
Hello, My brother asked me to upgrade his PC for him. He wanted me to change out the GPU and add a SSD. I did so normally, and when I went to boot it - it said no OS was found, alright, cool. So I unplugged the other drives and ran it with only the OS drive connected, it worked as expected. He's very impatient and rushed me, so he just took it then and there and left. (I notably re-connected the drives but did not change the primary boot drive). When he returned home and turned it on, he got the "no os found" error (not a big deal). But then he called me and was difficult to work with, he eventually hung up out of frustration refusing to listen to me. I guess he then tampered with the system without letting me know! Now when the PC is powered the GPU flashes, and the fans spin - but then stop. He cannot get it to properly run. I've heard he attempted to unplug the drives but fear he didn't do it in the proper environment. Did he [censored] the hardware?! I'm very stressed and not very experienced with this stuff. I only know the basics. Can anyone offer some help? I'd really appreciate it!

PC:
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW edition
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA1150 DDR3
RAM: I can't recall! Sorry
PSU: I believe it's a 750 gold standard, but I don't know for certain. I'll try and find more information, but he's being difficult to work with. He is basically calling me a useless idiot and won't do anything productive for the matter. So, this might take longer than ideal to get basic information, sorry!

If you need more information I can provide it

❌ Cut out the swearing please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2020
From what I gather, he cannot get into the bios. Apparently the PC won't boot at all. The light just flashes and the fan spins. I want to try basically just stripping the thing and putting it back together to see if that'd help, maybe something short circuited?

But, as things are that isn't really an option. And yeah, I'd really like it if he cooled down. I just fear he'll irrationally attempt to fix it himself and damage it more.

And, thanks for the link! This seems like a big help. Appreciate it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From what I gather, he cannot get into the bios. Apparently the PC won't boot at all. The light just flashes and the fan spins. I want to try basically just stripping the thing and putting it back together to see if that'd help, maybe something short circuited?
We need to know what he did by himself.
If he had just left it alone afterwards, this could've been fixed by the solution I found.

Now the PC doesn't boot at all.
The light just flashes and the fan spins.
Hey, by that, do you mean the motherboard LEDs flash on and go right back off? Also, the fans spin momentarily, and then stop as well?