Question HELP PC freezes or my game freezes and all other programs are unresponsive until reboot

Mar 21, 2021
I recently bought a PC from someone. I have been playing Doom Eternal a lot lately, when I alt-tab out I either get an audio loop and freeze, or all my programs stop responding, but I can do things like open task manager, open and close programs, but nothing responds once I maximize/minimize. This problem is not exclusive to just gaming, it will also randomly freeze if idle. When the game freezes, I can still tab out and minimize/maximize, but nothing shows up on any of my windows. This problem can happen 5 minutes after boot or 2 hours, super intermittent. All bios settings are auto. I can give any information needed. Thanks in advance!!!

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: RTX 2080 Gigabyte OC
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
RAM: Patriot Viper 16GB 4133mz DDR4 [runs at stock 2133mz speed, wont post if I load XMP pre sets)
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX x470 -F Gaming
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 PLUS 1TB
Monitor: Alienware AW2518h 240hz 1080p

Here's what I've tried:

Updated BIOS (was 3+ years old)
Clean install of windows
Swap RAM with different 2x8gb sticks
Rolling back previous NVIDIA driver
Memtest86 2 good passes 0 errors
Underclocking 2080 memory

Edit: Could it be that im running at 240hz with this Ryzen?

Last edited:
Something you might want to try. Download HWinfo64 and see if your power is fluctuating on the 12V, 3.3V, and 5V rails. I had a similar issue, had it for a long while, but it was while playing Doom Eternal that it truly manifested itself and it was my power supply going--gone bad. Your RMi is a very good psu but it may be starting to fail. If you have the USB cable that came with the PSU (or if your friend has it) you can connect the RMi PSU to your system and HWinfo will also monitor the PSU.
If available, you could use a known good, working PSU and see if the problem is solved; and if not then it most likely is not the PSU. (Recommend the known working PSU because New psu's have been known to be defective out-of-the-box).
Good Luck.

Reactions: Traplord2287
Mar 21, 2021
Hey nostall,

So I don't have the USB that came with the PSU. I checked voltages in BIOS and to me they looked good. 12v = 12.033 5v= 4.986 3.3v= 3.356

I'll look around for the cabling I need to see if I can verify the numbers. Thanks for the help!!

The number look good, but I found that I had to use HWinfo with logging to see the real fluctuations while the PC was in use, especially during gaming. I checked the PSU multiple times with a Multi Meter and the psu always showed good voltages; but the log sheet showed some really terrible drops during use (?current ripple?).
Might have been here on Tom's but I am not sure, someone said a standard USB cable with a male mini-usb connection on one end (for the psu) and a standard USB male connection on the other Could be used by plugging into one of your external USB ports: I didn't have to try it that way but sounds workable.

Reactions: Traplord2287
Mar 21, 2021
Ill look at that now. I just noticed that I didnt freeze when trying to play, but had a 240fps to 63fps drop and GPU clock went from 1915mhz to 650mhz and goes back and forth until I go into a different area. Once a find a cable that will fit the PSU ill post screenshots. Thank you for the help so much!