[SOLVED] HELP! PC getting power but not booting

Nov 13, 2019
I will start with my PC's demise. About 2 months ago I noticed that whenever my PC goes into sleep mode, it cannot wake up unless I force shut down and restart. I was worried at the time but didn't try to fix the issue. Well, just a week later my PC suddenly froze while I was using it and that was the last time I saw my home screen. I did the only thing I knew in this situation: force shutdown and restart. Only this time, the PC did not boot up.

When I hit the power button, I can see that the LED is working and all the fans are spinning. I even plugged in a USB and it flashed like normal when the PC started up. However, my monitor, keyboard, and mouse are not powering up at all. In short, everything inside the case seems to be working, and everything outside the case isn't.

The first obvious conclusion I reached was a faulty motherboard. I purchased a new motherboard (ASRock B450M PRO4) to replace my old one. I also got a new case and SSD. To my surprise, the same problem persisted even with these new components.

After trying everything I can find online and still not working, I brought the PC to my local repair shop. The technician there tried the following (none of which worked):
  1. Using a different PSU in my build
  2. Booting with on-board graphics instead of GPU
  3. Booting with different RAM
  4. Booting with one RAM
  5. Replacing the CPU (exactly same model)

I am at a wit's end as to what is causing this problem. Right now I am replacing the motherboard through RMA process because the technician is convinced that it must be a motherboard issue.

PCPartPicker Part List

Solution
I assume then the tech experienced the same issues with no display and no USB working? and well although I do not know your level of skill in these things, I dont see how you could of damaged the board during installation short of say slipping with the screw driver and scratching the PCB gouging it or something. they normaly are pretty straight forward to install, maybe though the CPU and cooler could be more a "intermediate" skill level to install. I suppose if it were me, id take it all apart again, reseat the CPU, making sure no pins bent etc.. remount the cooler (again making sure all the standoffs etc are proper) .. and reinstall the board.. making sure all the power cables are snug etc.. and Id only use min RAM (1 stick) and...

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
hmm for sure odd how none of the UBS things are working, I know its gonna sound silly, but have you tried different keyboards, mouse etc? will it even boot into the Bios? I don't think you need a mouse/keyboard to get that far. but short of that It may very well be a bad board. be odd that its the results from old board.

Nov 13, 2019
hmm for sure odd how none of the UBS things are working, I know its gonna sound silly, but have you tried different keyboards, mouse etc? will it even boot into the Bios? I don't think you need a mouse/keyboard to get that far. but short of that It may very well be a bad board. be odd that its the results from old board.
I haven't tried different keyboards, mouse etc. I've plugged in my mouse and keyboard into my friend's PC and they worked fine.

It does not boot into bios. The monitors stays completely black when I press the power button.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
whats the chances the monitor is just messed up? maybe it is broken wich maybe is causing the other ports to not respond? I mean I don't know if its possible.. but do you know 100% that the monitor also works ?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I mean reading back , whats the chances of 2 boards doing the exact same thing and 1 being brand new? and the keyboard and mouse may be working but not seem so because windows isn't booting up maybe? (again no clue just random thinking).. id almost wonder if somehow the monitor is the issue

Nov 13, 2019
I mean reading back , whats the chances of 2 boards doing the exact same thing and 1 being brand new? and the keyboard and mouse may be working but not seem so because windows isn't booting up maybe? (again no clue just random thinking).. id almost wonder if somehow the monitor is the issue

I don't think the monitor is the issue. When I brought my PC into the repair shop, the technician plugged his own monitor and peripherals.

I know that an old and a new motherboard having the same issue is ridiculous. I think it's more likely that I have damaged the motherboard during installation. When I get the replacement board, I will have the technician to install it for me.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I assume then the tech experienced the same issues with no display and no USB working? and well although I do not know your level of skill in these things, I dont see how you could of damaged the board during installation short of say slipping with the screw driver and scratching the PCB gouging it or something. they normaly are pretty straight forward to install, maybe though the CPU and cooler could be more a "intermediate" skill level to install. I suppose if it were me, id take it all apart again, reseat the CPU, making sure no pins bent etc.. remount the cooler (again making sure all the standoffs etc are proper) .. and reinstall the board.. making sure all the power cables are snug etc.. and Id only use min RAM (1 stick) and id remove all my SSD, HDD etc till I seen post

Solution