[SOLVED] Help! PC shuts down and wont turn on with GPU.

longleebae

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I built my computer 4 years ago and has been fine until today when i was playing games and all of a sudden my pc shuts down and wont turn on. When I try to turn it on and off the power supply makes a clicking sound. So I thought my power supply was dead until I took off the gpu wire and my pc finally turned on. Does this mean that my gpu is dead? Or can I still fix this?

My pc spec

MSI Limited Gaming Edition GeForce GTX 970 4GB

i7 4790k

MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5

Cosair vengeance pro 16gb

WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W

Solution
Could still be a PSU issue. If the PSU can't supply the power required by the graphics card, and removing the graphics card allows the system to boot normally....

Use a hardware monitor like HWiNFO and look at the voltages on the motherboard, or enter BIOS which should also have the same information, and see whether the 3V, 5V and 12V readings are within 5%, 5% and 10% (respectively). If they're not then it could indicate a PSU problem. If they are, then PSU is probably fine; in which case can return to looking at the graphics card to see if it's functioning.
Could still be a PSU issue. If the PSU can't supply the power required by the graphics card, and removing the graphics card allows the system to boot normally....

Use a hardware monitor like HWiNFO and look at the voltages on the motherboard, or enter BIOS which should also have the same information, and see whether the 3V, 5V and 12V readings are within 5%, 5% and 10% (respectively). If they're not then it could indicate a PSU problem. If they are, then PSU is probably fine; in which case can return to looking at the graphics card to see if it's functioning.

Solution