[SOLVED] (Help) Pc suddenly turns off when being used ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
Hi I created an account here for help,

A month ago i built my pc with a help of my Cousin.

A week ago, Saturday, I moved my pc to my uncle's home because i needed internet connection (yes i dont have internet connection because my isp havent installed it yet), after i installed everything i need for my online classes i moved my pc back home.

The next day i was using it to type a document then suddenly the display was off but the pc is still running fans running, cpu fan still running, led strips still running, i sht my pants so i removed it from the outlet and opened the pc i just reseated the powercables and then turned it on again it was working well.

The next day i again was typing my thesis and then the pc display suddenly tuns off with the fans still running so i did what i have done last day and just reseated the powercables but when i turn it on it runs for a certain amount of time then turns off and on again.

The next day i tried to turn it on again it gave me a display so i thought it was fixed but the display suddenly turns off again so i tried to reseat the gpu and clean the ram. But the issues keeps coming back i dont know what is the problem can somebody tell me. Thank youu
Specs:
Asrock B450m Steel Legend
2x8 TeamForce 3200mhz (i did activate it fora certain period of time but reseted it) ( i did not activate the xmp profile)
Seasonic M12II Evo 520w
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super

I extremely need the pc for my schooling
I'm so disappointed i saved money for that pc for 2 years just for it to do that in 3 weeks of old

Last edited:
Solution
Warranty for S12II Series, 5 years (3 years if purchased before September 1, 2012). Have your unit tested under load before writing it off.

You may have Timing issues with your RAM. Just have one DIMM in the slot meant for single channel and try switching the modules around. Run Memtest86 from a USB to check for errors and report back.

If the system boots into Windows then check CPUz for your SPD (Serial Presence Detect) values, write them down then configure timings manually in Bios. You may have to slightly increase the Dram Voltage.

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
You may need a Bios update if not already done so.?
Just have a single DIMM in the slot meant for single channel mode and try switching modules around.
If at any time you encounter a boot loop then just clear CMOS to bring Bios back to default.
Im scared to update the bios cause i might brick it, the pc turns display off, and pheriperals there is no way to get around this but to shutdown the pc but i will try.

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
You may need a Bios update if not already done so.?
Just have a single DIMM in the slot meant for single channel mode and try switching modules around.
If at any time you encounter a boot loop then just clear CMOS to bring Bios back to default.
I have an observation when i booted into the bios today the time and date was wrong, the date and time were the date and time it last posts what does this mean? Does it mean dead cmos battery?

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
I have an observation when i booted into the bios today the time and date was wrong, the date and time were the date and time last posts what does this mean? Does it mean dead cmos battery?
Yes a dead or failing CMOS battery will cause this. Replace the battery if a multimeter shows less than 3V and they are around $4 us to replace.
It might solve my issue?

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
It most certainly could. Let's hope so:)
ill upload the results tomorrow i forgot to take my phone im at my house, tldr: left my phone at the dorm hope this helps a tad bit :D
r8saHWI.jpg

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
It most certainly could. Let's hope so:)
i think its fixed :D, i actually dont know what fixed but here what i did:
I plugged my pc into the wall then boot it, so the pc post so i immediately went to the bios and see what are the date and time i changed it then i manually set my ram speed to 2400mhz and 1.20v(i think) and then saved the changes after that i installed aida64 and ran the tests i was a littel bit nervous but it did not shutdown, i setted the date and time of windows to the correct one and did my deed (getting the files i neeed and sht) then i shut the pc down but this time did not unplug it to the wall, i realize i did not unplug the pc so i tried to power it on i was kinda scared but it posts and booted into windows so i said might as well play a game so i did 3 hrs had past and the pc display did not shut off or anything happen so i think its fix but not 100% sure, but really hope it fixed, shout out to you MeanMachine41 for the help would've been dead without you. for that ill give the best solution to ur solution earlier thanks :D

Oh btww, i did not replace the battery and the fault is not in the board, its the psu the psu is not dead but undervolted so it does not supply the mobo with enough power but still thanks for the helpp, i have a question do i need a AVR ?
Voltage regulation is part of the PSU and the Motherboard.
AVR can also mean Automatic Voice Recognition which i don't think you need..

ineedhelppleaseu

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
This will be my last question cuz im pretty new is it possible to break a psu when u unplug it after using then plug it in the swith the psu to on?