FlamingCowHead

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
My wife got my a Ryzen 3800x as a gift and now I need to upgrade my other components to go with it! Please help! I do game development mainly Unreal Engine, gaming, and streaming videos. Here are the possible reusable parts in my current PC:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8WpWsk
I figure the 1080 is still good so plan to keep that but need motherboard, ram, maybe m.2 HD. Let me know what you guys suggest getting and a little reason why. Thanks!

Solution
The 3800x comes with a decent fan, and if the 212 is an old part, it will need a adapter bracket to work with am4 anyways.

An x570 board would work, but depending on your budget a b450 max board could work as well, but is usually sold out atm. X570 is more robust then the b450 and has pci-e 4.0 if you ever need it.

Depending on how complex your development is, you can go for 2x8gb 3600Mhz cl16 or 2x16gb 3600Mhz cl16, I'd lean to 2x16gb for streaming. AMD likes faster ram, 3200Mhz is the minimum, but 3600 is only a little more for a couple % faster, could go either speed.

M.2 drives are a lot faster then sata drives by the numbers, but in application, it's pretty minimal outside of file transfers. So up to you...
The 3800x comes with a decent fan, and if the 212 is an old part, it will need a adapter bracket to work with am4 anyways.

An x570 board would work, but depending on your budget a b450 max board could work as well, but is usually sold out atm. X570 is more robust then the b450 and has pci-e 4.0 if you ever need it.

Depending on how complex your development is, you can go for 2x8gb 3600Mhz cl16 or 2x16gb 3600Mhz cl16, I'd lean to 2x16gb for streaming. AMD likes faster ram, 3200Mhz is the minimum, but 3600 is only a little more for a couple % faster, could go either speed.

M.2 drives are a lot faster then sata drives by the numbers, but in application, it's pretty minimal outside of file transfers. So up to you if you want a m.2 drive, but 250gb ssd is pretty minimal today, so a 1tb 660p would do nicely.

Reactions: FlamingCowHead
Solution
Atm, pci.e 4.0 has limited usage, mainly for pci-e 4.0 nvme drives, which are faster then current nvme drives, granted you still wont be able to tell a difference, and for graphics card bandwidth. Atm no gpu saturates pci-e 3.0 bandwidth for gaming. Imo, its a future option for drives and gpu's.

If you don't overclock, the b450 board I linked before is good, as is the x470 gaming plus counterpart, both should be around $120(currently oos), any more and it's overpriced. Any x570 board will do except the asrock x570 pro4, i think it had faulty firmware but I'm not to sure. I've had good experience with the x570 linked before, and the non-wifi counterpart ($170) should be just as good. So, just look at any x570 board and check if it has all the ports on io panel you want or other features like built-in wifi. Careful with prices, stock is limited, so check what the board normally goes for.

The ram linked before is good. Particularly the 3600Mhz set.

The cooler a ryzen chip is, the higher frequency it will boost to. The stock cooler is good enough, but if you want that extra 50-100mhz, you'll have to go for a good aftermarket cooler. Say a 240mm+ aio or a dark rock pro 4/nh-d15,or esports duo etc. I'd stick with the stock cooler initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamingCowHead
Not actually seeing any motherboards for sale.
Yep, they were available when I posted and the day before, but now they're gone. Keep an eye on them, they'll likely restock eventually and then get sold out a day or two after again.

Look for b450 Max Tomahawk, X470 Gaming plus Max, (b450 gaming plus max can work as well), any x570 board other then asrock pro4. The new b550 boards are about to release, they kinda expensive and there is no data atm if they any good, but its an option.

On your list, I would delete the HDD and use a 1tb m.2 pcie ssd for everything.
Intel 660P is cheap. Samsung 970 evo plus is about the best.

The stock cooler is fine. I found the hyper212 to be difficult to get mounted properly.
There are better options but I would defer on that until/if such a cooler is needed.

Today there are no pcie 4.0 devices available.
There will be a samsung 980 Pro in the fall, but it will be very expensive.
Similarly, GTX1080 performs about the same with pcie 2 vs3. No need for 4.
Only the $1000 + cards might be able to get some benefit.

You will want plenty of ram, perhaps even 2 x 16gb. Make it 3600 speed if you can.

FlamingCowHead

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for all the help! Ending up going with this do to availability:

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

G.Skill 32GB DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Ripjaws V for Intel CL16 (16-19-19-39) Dual Channel kit (2x16GB) Black

Intel 660p 1TB m.2 2280 PCIe Encrypted Internal SSD

TRENDING THREADS