HELP PC won't boot with new mobo

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I get a message saying "intel (R) boot agent GE v1.3.95 copyright (C) 1997-2012 Intel corporation pxe-e61: media test failure check cable. Pxe-m0f: exiting Intel boot agent. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key.' The cables to my HDD are connected so what could be wrong?

Hello... it's telling you it cannot find BOOTable information from a normal/default device search... NEW HD's/SSD's and devices don't have Bootable info on them... You have to 'install" it on those devices first.

Sometimes you have to tell the BIO's where to look for and the type of Device/communications to be used too. (save&exit)

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
So I have to change the bios settings? I didn't update the bios it gives me 6 different options I didn't click any of them because I didn't know what would happen. "HL-DT-ST DUDRAM GT70N. -ATAPI" ST2000DM001-9YN164. - partition 1 through 6. Should I click on them?

Hello... If you are using a DVD and player for your install... then you have two options... 1) put that DVD player first on your BOOT order (save&exit) OR 2) manually tell the OS where to look for 'Bootable' media... the atapi device.

Or are you trying to boot from a already installed OS on a HD/SSD? then connect that drive to SATA0 or sata1... which ever is the lowest number listed... then the BIO's will look there first for it... but check to see if that device is listed at the TOP of the BOOT order list. B )

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I am trying to boot from a HDD it has Windows 10. I put it in sata 0 and the HDD was on top of the boot order but it still didn't work i also clicked on my HDD in the boot menu but it just shows a blinking _ and does nothing.

Hello... 1) How far is it going into the Install %? does it stop there every time?
2) how old is the HD?
3)Take look in your BIO's Ram configuration/info stated there... and does it match your installed? hardware? TRY reseating your RAM stick(s) ?
4) are your RAM sticks in the proper slots for "Dual channel" operation... per MB PDF/Manual?

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
It's not installing anything the HDD is 5 years old I don't think the ram is the problem. Do I have to update the bios? When I click on the bios update thing it lists
5ZPDgfi
cvZmew3
FGeccAo
yqBmMu1
FCesFJc
Ad5iaZg
e9SRdfG

Hello... How much experience do you have Installing a OS? B /

Well sometimes you need PRE-install a driver for the MB Chip hardware/communications for the OS and HD/SSD... it's possible your OS on the Drive had different hardware and driver... Typically with new hardware you need to do a "fresh install" of the OS for it to Boot/work B /

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
So theirs nothing I can do with this set up? I got a new Mobo because my old one died I thought my PC would have worked if I just got a new Mobo. Is a fresh install buying a new HDD then just installing the os?

Hello... Using a "OLD" install of the OS on Newer or different hardware (intel VS AMD) will (could) require a complete re-install as this only takes about ~15-30 mins.... this is the easiest and fastest way to do it... and time is Money B / ...That's what a install is all about... letting the OS inspect/test your hardware and then installing only those things needed for hardware and software communications. This information gets 'Compiled" and your OS "kernel" gets created.

5) Do you have exact same MB brand model as the OS install before?
6) Do you still have DATA/files on the drive you need to transfer before a 'fresh/clean install" attempt?
7) Did you attempt file fixes and "other" Data altering APPs on the drive after/with the previous MB problem?
8) please list your current system hardware and your previous system hardware?
9) is your NEW MB a different "revision" than the OLD one? ( this means some hardware and programming has been changed on it)

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I bought "Intel Desktop Board Media Series LGA 1155 DDR 1333 Micro-ATX Form Factor - BOXDH67BLB3" to replace my Acer "IPIMB-AR" Mobo. Yeah I still have files on the HDD that I need. I have another PC but it's old could I use a sata to USB cable to get the files off the HDD? The Acer Mobo got short circuited I think it was my HDMI cable. The person who sold it to me said it comes as Bulk OEM

Hello... YES... You can either 1) plugin the HD into another computer SATA port and "give permission" to the OS to use it... OR 2) use a USB2 to SATA adaptor and "give permission" to the OS to use it.

*I have another idea for you to try... AS a 'simple test" change your MB HD SATA port to 'IDE" mode (save&exit) now the OS will not need a hardware chip ACHI driver to communicate to the drive. B / see if you can get it to BOOT that way?

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Ide didn't work also I don't know if this is important but I have a 3rd gen processer but the Mobo supports 2nd gen processors. I have a i7 3770. How do I re install the os on my HDD?

Hello... If you can get into the BIO's ? then your "golden" ... does your Bio's say i7 3770 on any of the screens? B /

Typically most "Sandy bridge" 1155 MB's were BIO's upgraded for "Ivy bridge" CPU's... and should not be a problem B / unless the website for your brand/model of MB clearly states "No compatibility" B /

ACER MB's will have Chinese off brand chips on them and suspect it's just a simple "fresh" install of the OS will sort all of this out in ~15-30mins B /

* "fresh/Clean install" means deleting all the previous "Partitions" on the Drive, for the "new" install/OS to have room for it... all the previous information/Space on the HD will be removed and freed up.

Hello... It's an OS security thing... Windows has "security" and you have to "give permission" to the OS as "administrator" to use/install additional Devices.

1) Right click My Computer-Manage-storage-Disk Management... 2) Right click the graphics below for the NEW/OLD? drive... (*complete partitioning and formatting for the NEW drive if needed)... 3) And "Mark Partition(s) as Active"

* If the OLD Drive already has DATA on it.... Just mark the "Partition(s) active" So you don't lose any of it B )

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I right clicked on the HDD but the options are all unclickable "open" "mark partition as active" "change drive letter and paths" "format" "delete partition" "properties" the HDD also says it's a GPT protected partition idk what that means

Hello... Are you logged in as 'Administrator" ? Well your problems never stop with this drive... LOL B D... don't give up yet we are one step away... B D we might need someone else's help with this one B D

1) can you create a 'NEW" Post asking that same question... " HDD also says it's a GPT protected partition idk what that means"

I have not encounter this Yet... B / I would be interested B )

Uglylord

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I don't think I'm going to get this to work I'll just return the mobo but thank you for your help "Since GPT is not permitted on 32-bit version of Windows XP, what we need is to convert GPT to MBR without losing data" I think I have to download something to convert it to MBR but I don't have internet I'm using my phone atm

Hello... What is on the drive that is un-replaceable? personal works needs to be backed up to at least three other media/drives/?... but that is a "should of could of moment"

RMA is going to cost you half way shipping $$... I suggest just picking up a 32-64-120 gig low cost SSD drive and Test a New OS install with the MB first... IF there is no way to "strip your HD free" of the DATA on it? B /

Hello... Well I understand that... do they have the backups you need? B /

Well I suggest picking up a small SSD for the OS... it will run sooo much better... and then post your current error for all the other brainyacks here. B D

Have a lot of spare drives around is must for me... and I typically buy a NEW one for each new personal computer I build.