Question [HELP] PC won't turn on after new CPU cooler install

Oct 21, 2022
PC specs:

• Ryzen 5600x
  • Radeon RX 4700
  • Asus B550 Motherboard

Context:
I used to have an AIO but it had a pump defect so until i got a new AIO i was using the stock AMD cooler. Today the new AIO came and so I was taking out the AMD cooler, however when i pulled the cooler it yanked the CPU out of its socket as well (while the lever was still locked down), and after a bit i managed to take the cpu off the Stock cpu cooler, and the pins didnt look bent or anything so i reinstalled the cpu back into the motherboard.

After installing the CPU cooler, as I was attempting to start the PC there was no signal being read by my monitors although the PC itself was on. So I thought maybe i installed the CPU cooler incorrectly and as i was tryng to take off the new CPU cooler it yanked the CPU off the motherboard AGAIN. Now I'm speculating if the CPU socket is now just loose and unable to make good contact with the CPU pins, or the CPU itself is broken.

But a lot of videos on youtube are suggesting a CMOS clear? Not sure exactly what it does so I'm gonna give that a try right now.

edit: did a cmos clear and it did nothing

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
Ok. I could not spot anything bent/broken.

CPU should not come out so easy, with newly applied thermal paste.
Did you open/close cpu socket lever properly, when installing cpu?

BTW - you're using way too much thermal paste.
Back in the day before I learned my lesson, I used way too much paste and when I would removed the cooler the CPU would come with it about 50% of the time. I also learned that twisting the cooler a bit before removing it would help prevent that from happening

Oct 21, 2022
Ok. I could not spot anything bent/broken.

CPU should not come out so easy, with newly applied thermal paste.
Did you open/close cpu socket lever properly, when installing cpu?

BTW - you're using way too much thermal paste.

Yeah i'm not sure why there was so much suction between the cooler and the CPU, and yes I made sure that the CPU socket lever was closed all the way. And yeah i was reading the instruction manual for the thermal paste and the diagram had so much idk why so i just followed them:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQmeph7FSAU&ab_channel=CoolerMaster

even in their youtube video with the exact thermal paste i got they apply so much aahhahaha

Oct 21, 2022
Back in the day before I learned my lesson, I used way too much paste and when I would removed the cooler the CPU would come with it about 50% of the time. I also learned that twisting the cooler a bit before removing it would help prevent that from happening

hahhahaha i tried twisting, the first time it got stuck it wouldnt twist at all, the second time it got stuck, it would twist but it wouldn't loosen up but yeah i think the motherboard or the cpu is fried now

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
little tip for removing the cooler next time, start your PC for a few minutes, this will warm up the thermal paste and make it softer, then shut down the PC, remove mounting for the cooler and give a slight twist, this should break the cooler away from the CPU without pulling the CPU out of the socket. I personally would triple check the CPU and make sure it is seated properly, pull all but 1 stick of RAM and do a CMOS/BIOS reset, then turn the PC on to see if it boots to Bios at least. You might need to update Bios as well,

Last edited: