Help pick 560 or 560 ti

konrad112

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello, I am looking to buy a new graphic card. I am looking to run battlefield 3 so I need some advice on graphic card. I want to get one of the gtx 560 or 560TI. I am willing to spend around 250. Please help me what is the best 560 or 560ti I can pick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
What is the resolution you would be playing on?
If you intend to play on 1920x1080, then I would recommend getting the 560Ti instead. It also overclocks nicely into 570 territory with very manageable temperatures. Below 1080p, the 560 is a very good choice. Both are very good cards.
If you can wait a little longer, there will be a new 560Ti coming out soon which uses the 570/580 core.
Note: the 560Ti will struggle some what on Ultra for Battlefield 3 on 1080p.

konrad112

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Well I guess I will get the 560ti. Can someone give me few links of goodbones to buy and when is the new 560ti coming out? and i would like to runt he game on higher resolutions

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

For GPU overclocking, you usually use software to do it. These programs are usually bundled together with your installation CD when you purchase a new GPU. If not you can just download them, there are many online. Such examples include; MSI Afterburner (one of my favourite), EVGA Precision, etc. Most third-party brands have their own GPU OC programs.
Once you've the programs installed (the program automatically detects your GPU make and model), it is just a matter of raising the base values such as core clock and shader clock. This is all (mostly) done using a drag and pull bar or a box where you can insert specific values. After that, it is just a matter of testing ; running games, or high graphic applications to test for stability. Most of the times, given you do not mess with the voltage settings, GPU OCing is safe with the limit of OCing safely within your card's limit.
GPU OCing is perhaps one of the easiest and safest form of OCing. But, make sure you keep an eye out for the cores temperature (usually shown in the program). Also, try OCing only when you need to. Programs like MSI's Afterburner allow you to set different profiles making it easier.
Note: AMD includes the Overdrive feature in their Catalyst Control Centre, thus no need for any other programs.
Hoped it helps. ;)

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

Oh, yeah was supposed to get back on that. Since you are gaming on 1080p, the 560Ti seems to suit you the best and it's overclockability means it is quite future-proof. Although, I'm not too sure of the price, they vary by brand and time.
Two situations:
1. If your budget allows, I would recommend going for the 560Ti but make sure your PSU can power it. a good 500w and above would do fine.
2. If your budget does not, the 560 is the one to go for. It may be weaker but still a darn solid card which won't let you down.
And yes, I realise your budget is 250$ but, this is in case you want to spend less and keep that hard earned cash of yours on other things.

When it comes to overclocking, both card fare quite well. Even if you choose not to, that's ok, they're still good and will haul considerable workloads. But, keep in mind, the 560Ti is known for being OC friendly.

Regarding the newer core 560Ti, I would suggest letting that one go. The price, when just released, may be out of your budget and there is no concrete release date yet.

Conclusion? With your budget and resolution, all signs point toward the 560Ti.

P.S. If you have an SLi ready motherboard, bang put any of those in a pair on watch it fly. Oh, and sorry for the long post. :D

konrad112

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

jeffredo

Distinguished

Not "always". Below 1920x1080 its 9% extra speed is unnoticeable. Might as well save the $30-$50.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_560_TOP_Direct_Cu_II/27.html

I tried both an EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB (850 Mhz) and an EVGA GTX 560 SC (also 850 Mhz). On a 1680x1050 with a Phenom II X4 955 I could tell no difference in the current RPGs that I play. In some graphically demanding shooter it might make a difference to some, but that's questionable.

I kept the cheaper card.

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

The 2GB version is theoretically supposed to perform better in higher resolutions (1080p and above) but this has not always been true. Some times it is game specific, some type of games will benefit more from a larger video memory. Namely sandbox and open world games; GTA 4, Just Cause 2 and such where stuff like draw distance is concerned.
Other than that, there isn't much of a noticeable difference except maybe bragging rights.
The price difference between the 2 versions isn't much (5$ before rebate) which means you can easily go for the 2GB one without breaking too much of the bank (already past your budget) :na:
Finally, different brands tend to put different designation with the same model of cards. You've chosen MSI's Hawk and Twin Frozr II series. It isn't just the memory module which is different. The Hawk series is supposed to be MSI's higher range; offering a factory OC (which you can choose to push further) and a better heatsink (lower temperatures). Being a higher range, logic will tell you it commands a slightly higher price.
Nevertheless, both the Twin Frozr and Hawk are a good series to put your money into when you have it; others being Asus' Direct CU, EVGA's FTW, etc.

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
the 560ti OC edition the one i have, cant play BF3 with x4 MSAA. but everything else is on ultra, so unless you want to overclock up to 1ghz or 950 at least, you cant really max it out with that card. I suggest get a 570 which is why for me i made a mistake rushing for a 560 TI oc'ed, but still its a spectacular card.