Help pick 560 or 560 ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

konrad112

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello, I am looking to buy a new graphic card. I am looking to run battlefield 3 so I need some advice on graphic card. I want to get one of the gtx 560 or 560TI. I am willing to spend around 250. Please help me what is the best 560 or 560ti I can pick

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

it should with BF3 using the ultra pre-set (4xMSAA).

for those that have 1GB cards like me, keep ultra but try reducing AA to 2x or zero - you will notice huge increases in fps, there are 1 or 2 games out there than require more than 1GB VRAM

chaz

@ cps1974,
Since you talked about VRAM, you're right there are 1 or 2 games benefit from the extra VRAM such as Crysis 2 and GTA IV. VRAM helps a lot in higher resolutions above 1080P in order not to have a frame buffer issue as The higher the resolution in games, the more VRAM there should be since more textures need to be loaded.

Due to technologies such as AA, MSAA, AF, QSCAA.. those really feed on the VRAM depending on the game.

However some cards are not powerful enough to use the extra VRAM..ex: There's no difference between HD 5670 512 MB and HD 5670 1 GB.

For BF3, HD 6950 1 GB = 2 GB no difference.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
What do you mean, some cards are not even powerful enough to use that much ram? Can you link me to some benchmarks? There seems to be a lot of debate over this, but never see any evidence. What caliber of card do we need to take advantage of 2gb of ram?

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I dunno what card derb is referring 2.

I have researched this extensively before reading this thread. The most stable and OC'able 560ti out currently is the MSI twin...They sell a card called the Hawk, which uses a newer version of their heatsink. Its not really worth the extra $20-30. All 560 ti's with decent cooling easily OC to 950+mhz

Keep in mind that a new 560 ti comes out within a month or so. If you can wait for that, I would. It will have i think 448 cuda cores instead of the current 384. It is predicted to use more power so thats something to think about if you have a weak psu. More importantly I think the new 560 ti will fix some of the minor yet annoying bugs the ti currently suffers from, although that's just a guess.

If you cant wait, or cant commit a lot of power to your gpu, then get the MSI twin frozr II from newegg. Its now the winner of 2x customer choice award and for good reason. If your really into the epic warranty thing, EVGA does offer 2 560 ti's, get the superclocked DS one, because it has a sweet cooling solution, looks awesome and is pretty stable.